Modern Movie Moppets with Cool Names
8-year-old Aubrey Anderson-Emmons is known for her role as Lily Tucker-Pritchett, the Vietnamese child adopted by Mitchell and Cam on the long-running sitcom Modern Family. Once a British-accented male name, Aubrey is now all-girl, currently in the Top 20.
- Aubrey Anderson-Emmons is known for her role as Lily Tucker-Pritchett, the Vietnamese child adopted by Mitchell and Cam on the long-running sitcom Modern Family. Once a British-accented male name, Aubrey is now all-girl, currently in the Top 20." >
- Brighton Sharbino (who has a sister named Saxon), gained recognition as Lizzie Samuels on The Walking Dead and Maisie Hart on True Detective. British and Brooklyn place name Brighton entered baby name territory when it was chosen by actor/director Jon Favreau in 2006." >
- Ursula Parker is one of the two wonderful, totally believable daughters—she’s Jane, the younger-- on the Louis C.K. show Louie. She’s also a talented violinist who has performed at Carnegie Hall. The sainted name Ursula took a bit of a blow as the corpulent Sea Witch in The Little Mermaid, but seems to be making something of a rebound." >
- Giselle Eisenberg as Leonardo DiCaprio and Margot Robbie’s 5-year-old daughter in The Wolf of Wall Street. Her other film parents have included Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel, and Jessica Chastain. The graceful, balletic name Giselle was that of the princess in the 2007 Enchanted; it entered the list in 1983 and now ranks at Number 215." >
- Judd Apatow took his child-naming mission seriously, choosing the lovely Maude and Iris for his two girls, both of whom have appeared in a number of his movies. Iris, the Greek goddess of the rainbow and one of the flower names popular at the turn of the last century, is on the rise—now at Number 245." >
- Johnny Sequoyah, born Johnny Sequoia Freidenberg, has the major role of Bo (!) in the TV drama Believe and also has several film credits. Boyish nicknames for girls are back. Johnny actually made the girls’ Top 1000 for three years, in 1928, 1936 and 1940." >
- Livvy Stubenrauch—the voice of mischievous young Anna in Frozen-- was born Olivia, but has chosen to go by her adorable nickname. She has rhyming siblings named Hannah and Tanner. Livvy could be the new Lizzie, Liv the new Liz." >
- Martin has made a strong impression as the sassy twin Diane Johnson in the hit sitcom Blackish. Her unique name (pronounced mar-SAY) is a lot cooler than the old-style Marcy." >
- Murphy is best known for her role as Meghan Chambler on The Walking Dead. Meyrick is an unusual surname name more often (though not very) given to boys, and borne as a last name by several English and Welsh notables." >
- Cassidy has been featured on the big and small screens in Mr Selfridge, Tomorrowland, Dark Shadows and as the young Snow White in Snow White and the Huntsman. Raffey, which could be a nickname for Raffaela, is also seen spelled Rafi, as in the well-known children’s singer." >
- Sky and Skye, Skie and Skyy, and now we have Skai, worn by 13-year-old Skai Jackson, best known for her role as Zuri Ross in the Disney Channel’s Jessie and on Bunk’d." >
- Talitha Bateman, the youngest of 8 siblings, played Kayla in the film The Hive and Scarlett Kincaid in the series Hart of Dixie. Talitha is both an astral and biblical name, and puts a fresh spin on Tabitha." >
- Grace, the daughter of main character Det. Danny Williams on Hawaii Five-0. Teilor is something of a cross between Tyler and Taylor: definitely unique." >
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
on November 13th, 2015 at 9:46 am
Talitha jumped out to me. It’s lovely. Tabitha is too clunky for my ears.
And of course I love Giselle. It’s one of the prettiest names in the world! Top 10 easily.
on November 13th, 2015 at 9:53 am
Some interesting choices here, but also a few that would have been interesting to add!
Fifi Hart – Sybbie Branson from Downton Abbey (with big sister Mimi)
Rowan Blanchard – Riley Matthews on Girl Meets World, daughter of Cory & Topanga
Francesca Capaldi – Chloe on Disney’s Dog With a Blog
Willow Shields – The Hunger Games
Joey King (born Joey Lynn) – Ramona and Beezus
Kerris Dorsey (born Kerris Lilla Dorsey) – Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
on November 13th, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Brighton has been one of my top favorites for years.
One of my favorite child star sibset is the Jones family.
My DD is in the entertainment industry and we’ve come across some interesting names while on auditions. The one that stands out the most was a handsome little guy named Rigby.
on November 13th, 2015 at 6:45 pm
@lawsonhaley–Thanks for those additions. I did consider some of them, but there just wasn’t enough room on a slideshow!
leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.