Latin from Greek"cheerful, happy"
Hilary Origin and Meaning
The name Hilary is both a boy's name and a girl's name of Greek, Latin origin meaning "cheerful, happy".
Hilary (also spelled with two 'l's) is a hot potato of a name, so closely identified with Sen. Clinton that it's hard for most parents to see it as a baby name. A pity, really, as it's got so much going for it: the popular, rhythmic three-syllable structure, the fact that it's strong but light, proper but jaunty, with an irresistible meaning -- having the same root as hilarious.
20 Names Similar to Hilary
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hilary.
Famous People Named Hilary
- Hilary Ann SwankAmerican actress
- Hilary Erhard DuffAmerican singer and actress
- Hilary Hollis RhodaAmerican model
- Hilary (Blake)American singer,songwriter
- Hilary Jane ArmstrongBritish politician
- Hilary Mary MantelEnglish writer
- Hilary HahnAmerican violinist
- Hilary du PréBritish flautist
- Hilary RosenAmerican communications consultant, Democratic pundit, and former registered lobbyist
Hilary in Pop Culture
- Hilary Bankscharacter on the TV show "Fresh Prince of Bel,Air"
- Hilarycharacter from the film "But I'm a Cheerleader"
- Hilary FayMandy Moore's character from the film "Saved"
- Hilary Wentworthcharacter in the "St. Clare's" book series by Enid Blyton
- Hilary "Larry" Friedmancharacter in movie "Blended"