Ionia Origin and Meaning
The name Ionia is a girl's name of Greek origin.
Also relating to the sea and the islands, this name is a bit more melodic than its cousins.
20 Names Similar to Ionia
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Ionia.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Ionia
Ionia in Pop Culture
- Ioniaa Magypsy in the video game "Mother 3"
- Capricorn Ioniacharacter in the anime "Saint Seiya Omega"
- Ionian Seaan arm of the Mediterranean
- Ionian Schoolfirst group of philosophers that we know of; can also refer to the art movement
- The Turkish name for GreeceYunanistan, literally means "Land of the Ionians." Ionia also yielded the name for the country in Arabic and Hindi (Yunan). The place name (which Herodotus credits to an ancestral Ion, son of Apollo and Creusa) is probably pre,Greek, perhaps related to Sanskrit yoni "womb, vulva," and a reference to goddess,worshipping people.
- "The Ionians delighted in wanton dances and songs more than the rest of the Greeks ... and wanton gestures were proverbially termed Ionic motions." [Thomas Robinson"Archaeologica Graeca," 1807]
- "Ionian mode" is musical terminology meaning "in a major key"