27 30.00%
  • Elizabeth Jane

34 37.78%
  • Elizabeth Rose Opal

21 23.33%
  • Elizabeth Jane Opal

8 8.89%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Husband's Pick vs Wife's Pick...for our first girl!

Hi Nameberries! This is my 2nd post about what to name our "baby princess" (as my 3 year old son calls her). In my first poll, we had about 6 names for you all to pick from...and you were all so helpful in getting us to narrow down our list! We loved reading all of your comments and suggestions! We are tentatively choosing the first name of Elizabeth for John Daniel's and James Monroe's baby sister. I'm still a little apprehensive due to it being so common (says the mom who named her first two John and James lol)...but we love it's timeless, classic beauty. Now to choose a middle name:

Elizabeth Rose: Rose is after my husband's grandmother in New Zealand (where he's from). He really would like to honor her (her name is Eileen Rose...not crazy about Eileen but we're at least keeping the initials and the middle name).

Elizabeth Jane: We both actually kind of like the sound of this one a bit more. It seems to have a more modern and fresh sound somehow. We also love the nickname Eliza Jane...which is actually a super-catchy very old folk song...so it would be kind of fun to have a little song to sing to her!

Elizabeth Rose Opal: Our boys only have one middle name...however, I was considering adding on Opal because that is my grandmother's middle name (Cora Opal). We were very close, and if she were still alive she would be turning 100 years old the same month that the baby will be born! However, my husband feels that adding Opal takes away from honoring his grandmother, who always went by E.R. Coughey (our last name).

Elizabeth Jane Opal: Please see above explanation.

I should mention that both the boys are named after dad (John Monroe) and my mom, Danielle). So maybe I should just let my husband have this one lol!

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!!! We greatly appreciate it!!!
    Last edited by thecougheys; May 21st, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Elizabeth Rose or Elizabeth Rose Opal. I think you should also consider Elizabeth Opal. For me, meaning trumps all when picking names. Your taste in names or favorites will certainly change, but Grandma Eileen Rose and Cora Opal will always have those names and Rose and Opal will always have a meaning to you and your daughter. I really don't understand how adding another grandmother's name takes away from the first- both sides of the family are equally represented; one doesn't negate the other. And this baby will be an equal and important part of both families- being in one doesn't mean she's less important in the other. I think it's the same with names.

I'm going to be very biased and vote for the name Elizabeth Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    Elizabeth Rose or Elizabeth Rose Opal. I think you should also consider Elizabeth Opal. For me, meaning trumps all when picking names. Your taste in names or favorites will certainly change, but Grandma Eileen Rose and Cora Opal will always have those names and Rose and Opal will always have a meaning to you and your daughter. I really don't understand how adding another grandmother's name takes away from the first- both sides of the family are equally represented; one doesn't negate the other. And this baby will be an equal and important part of both families- being in one doesn't mean she's less important in the other. I think it's the same with names.
    Thank you for your reply! I completely agree with you, but my DH says that he just remembers getting mail from his grandmother as a child and that the return address always had the name ER Coughey...so to him, it's almost that the initials are even more important than the actual name of Rose and he feels by adding another name she wouldn't have the same initials as his grandmother. Also...do you think it's weird for my girl to have two middles if my boys only have one?

Voted for Elizabeth Jane Opal, though i think Elizabeth Opal Jane flows better! Beautiful!

ps: don't worry about her having 2 middle names, in fact in our family, the boys have 1 and the girls have 2. It has turned into our "thing"!

xo Viv
    Mama bear to Rigby Harrison, Miller Thomas, Wren Charlotte Amity & Eloise Cleo Bellamy