Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arabic boy names

Hi! I'm new to nameberry seeking opinions on our top name choices for baby #3, a boy due next month. Our first 2 children are a daughter, Rusha, and a son, Tarek. These are both Arabic names. We are Syrian and Muslim, and have an Arabic last name, so we definitely want to stick with another Arabic first name. We're having a hard time this time coming up with a name that has a good meaning and strong sound in Arabic, but is easy to say and sounds pleasing and not harsh in the States. Our last name starts with B and has three syllables.

Here are some names that i like, but cant use:

Kameel
    Sufyan
    Ameer
    Ramzi
    Zaineddine (nn zain or dean, cant use because close cousin is naming it)
    Nooreddine (nn Noor or dean. we both love it, but I'm afraid its weird because Noor is a unisex form of my own name, Noora)

These are on the list, but not top two:
    Kareem
    Haddi
    Shareef

And these are the ones we're down to:

Jibreel- Arabic form of the archangel Gabriel
    Naseem- Gentle breeze, fresh air

So what do you think? Are we correct in assuming that these will be easy to say and sound nice to our fellow Americans? Its so hard for us to judge, because we hear them as Arabic speakers. Which one do you prefer? My favorite is Naseem. Its pronounced with a short A. Nuh-seem, not Naw-seem. Isn't the meaning lovely?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Is Naseem, Nasim a unisex name too? Because I've had known two Nasims, both female (maybe the diff spelling?).

I think both names are easy to pronounce and will be fairly familiar to most Americans. I teach high school and we have a decent-sized Arabic/Muslim population and most people learn to say the names pretty easily.

I think I prefer Naseem above Jibreel, but I like them both.

I love Naseem and its meaning. Jibreel is cool and I don't think it would stick out much either, but I definitely like Naseem better. I also don't see Naseem sticking out in a bad way at all, and its pronunciation was pretty clear to me.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

Ali is my favourite Arabic boys name, but it's also "political", so if it's not for you, then I understand. Same goes for Hasan.

Murtaza
    Hashim
    Hamza (One of my favourites)
    Raza
    Tahir (Too close to Tarek though)
    Malik

People will definitely say Naseem, and "Nah-seem" in America. Jibreel is straight forward.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sure you hear a lot of interesting names as a high school teacher. You're right, Nasim is a unisex name. There are lots of them in Arabic. Nasim is the more common spelling, but we like Naseem for pronunciation. Its being a unisex name is the reason it drew a little heat from a couple of the Arabic speakers we've asked, since many strictly masculine Arabic names have much grander, tougher meanings like lion, sword, king, brave, etc. Its been suggested the meaning of Naseem is too soft for a manly man. We don't think so.