Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's wrong with this name?

So lately, I have been in love with the name Gino. I have told a few of my close friends and my mom( I don't want name snatchers) that I loved it. They told me its terrible and laughed at it. My mom said only if I was italian and Gene is my friend's dads name.... I don't see why no one likes it. I met a little boy with it spelled Geno about a mos ago, he was white... Whatcha think?

Meh, it's ok. I kinda think of it as an "old man" name. I have a great uncle named Gene, and also a friend named Gene that we sometimes call Geno (he's about 33, so he's not old at all, he just a few years older than a lot of his friends, so we joke that he's old a lot :-P). I just can't picture it on a kid at all. Though a lot of other "old man" names are coming back, I don't see why this one can't. I'm not a big fan but I don't think it's terrible really.
    Top 10 girl's names: Serena * Audrey * Sienna * Bridget * Lucy * Hazel * Cordelia * Josephine * Claire * Alice
    Top 10 boy's names: Elliott * Callum * Theodore * Emmett * Nolan * Ian * Blake * Brennan * Adrian * Everett

Quote Originally Posted by norseberry View Post
    So lately, I have been in love with the name Gino. I have told a few of my close friends and my mom( I don't want name snatchers) that I loved it. They told me its terrible and laughed at it. My mom said only if I was italian and Gene is my friend's dads name.... I don't see why no one likes it. I met a little boy with it spelled Geno about a mos ago, he was white... Whatcha think?
    Not really sure what being white would have to do with it, since Italians are white. *shrug* As for the name, can't say I'm too big a fan of Gino. It just sounds very nicknamey to me. Is there a longer name that it could work as a nickname for?

I can only think italian, sorry.

I know how you feel about no one really liking a name. I adore the name Maura, but everyone I've asked about it dislikes it, and even on Nameberry it doesn't get any love - too out of style, I suppose!

For me personally, I grew up near a pizzeria called Gino's, and since I've never known anyone with the name I tend to only think of pizza when I hear it. I don't think it's an awful name at all, though. Have you considered Tino? It's also fairly ethnic but not as common as Gino, so maybe it wouldn't have such a strong negative reaction. I like it a smidge better.