Results 1 to 5 of 31
Thread: Leaps and Bounds (and Drops)
May 14th, 2012 12:57 PM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2011
Leaps and Bounds (and Drops)
Having glanced over the new SSA list, I admit it was with some horror that I realized my favorite girl's name, Cora, jumped from #276 to #204 in one year! Noo! I'm still in love, but curses all the same...
Doing some more digging (mostly through girls names right now), it's fascinating what has jumped up really quickly and what seems to have slipped. Sure there are plenty of the trendy spellings complicating and clotting up the list. But here were some surprises to me.
- Vera jumped from #673 to #512.
- Probably thanks to the famous chanteuse, Adele catapulted 282 slots to be #627.
- Adelaide has risen from #568 to #407 between 2009 and 2011.
- Sloane, Willow, and Eloise each jumped 80 slots this year to rank at #511, #202, and #449 respectively (and note: Eloise was only at #913 in 2009!!).
- Following the other plant names, Dahlia moved up over 100 points to be #538 and Rosemary up 60 places to take #654.
- Felicity zoomed 99 places up the list to #666.
- I only just noticed that Annabelle is about to brush the top 100, but if you add in all the other spellings (the SSA lists Annabelle, Annabel, Anabel, Anabelle, Annabell plus Anabella and Annabella) then it's definitely much higher than that.
- Maeve, a NB fave, has actually dropped back down to its 2009 rank (from #535 to #590).
- Curiously (to me anyway), the spelling Lyla is significantly higher in rank than Lila.
I mean, I guess I'm not shocked--I knew these names were rising, but those are big jumps! Anyone else seen anything that caught them by surprise, too?
May 14th, 2012 01:12 PM #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2010
May 14th, 2012 01:18 PM #5
I was surprised to see Geraldine re-enter the top 1000 for the first time since 1990 (even then it only ranked for 3 years, from '88 to '90--it essentially dropped off the list in the 70s). Amos and Harvey are also back. Could this be the start of a revival? I hope so. I think all three are cute in a clunky way.
May 14th, 2012 01:28 PM #7
- Mason being #2 for boys. The name's just not very popular in my area (haven't run into any babies or small children with it), so I was surprised to see that it's ranked #2 nationally.
- Juniper and Temperance being in the Top 1000. While I love both names (Temperance is one of our top names for a girl), I didn't ever think that they'd crack the Top 1000.
-Bentley being in the Top 1000...for girls. Ugh.
-Rowan dropping in ranking for girls. This is our top boy's name and I was worried it was going to be taken over by the girls, but it's been steadily declining for girls over the past four years (while steadily climbing for boys), so I think we're safe.
May 14th, 2012 03:49 PM #9
Last edited by frustratedauthor; May 14th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.Elliot ~ Silas ~ Henry ~ Tobias ~ Samuel
Evangeline ~ Sophie ~ Rosalie ~ Phoebe ~ Susanna
Crushes: Jubal ~ Avery ~ Artemis ~ Persephone