Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I had looked for it on several baby name sites and I couldn't find it. Finally found it on babynamewizard.com... I think that when you use an ethnic name that is so uncommon English speaking countries, there are bound to be people who think it looks made up. I'm half Lithuanian, and there are a few Lithuanian names I love that I know look like made up names.. Meile, Niele, Vaiva, Daina. It has made me question how useable they are. It seems a shame to discount a name for that reason, and there's no easy answer. Personally, if I did use one of those names, I'd feel I'd have to explain the name everytime I told it to someone.
    http://geeknames.blogspot.com/
    My favorites right now:
    Girls: Alena, Anya, Emme, Fable, Gwyneth, Thalia, Thora, Vaiva
    Boys: August, Bodhi, Blake, Declan, Eamon, Fergus, Finch, Rory

I kind of like it..it does remind me of sahara but I like still.. I like it spelled Sahana..
    Mielle is a real name..it also means honey in french.. like a cafe miel..

Yeah, welcome to my world! I have an ethnic name and get questions about it all the time. The names are not as user friendly, if you will, because most people are not that familiar with them. But I would love to give my kids names that preserve and pass on their heritage. I guess I am used to hearing different names because my social circles and my work communities have always been very multicultural. A lot of the popular naming sites are mostly focused on Anglo names, this is why you didnt see the name on them. Hopefully in the future names from other backgrounds will become more familiar or at least more accepted as usable by a wider range of people. I think this site has done a great job of including many of the common ethnic names, at least of my background, since this is what I know best. Of course it woud be too difficult to include all names from all ethnicities! That is when you need to look at websites for that particular background.

Quote Originally Posted by mollykat78 View Post
    I kind of like it..it does remind me of sahara but I like still.. I like it spelled Sahana..
    Mielle is a real name..it also means honey in french.. like a cafe miel..
    Does that mean you would probably pronounce it like Sahara, but with an n? Just curious. The actual pronunciation would rhyme with Madonna.

I think its pretty. I initially would have said Sa-ha-nah but I like how you are pronouncing it better. I'm guessing it's Indian, am I right?

As far as ethnic names go, I think it's a fairly accessible one for North Americans. It's easy to spell and pronounce, all the sounds are present in English (unlike say, some Dutch or Welsh names that use sounds English just doesn't have) and it's obviously feminine. I think it's definitely usable, and it's lovely to give your child a name that connects to their heritage.