Names Searched Right Now:

Janet Pronounced Janette or Jeanette

My grandmother's name and my middle name is Janet, but it has always been pronounced Janette or Jeanettein my family. I noticed that older or elderly people when I was younger always pronounced the way my family did, but everyone else pronounced Janet like Jan-it. Does anyone know the history of pronouncing this name? If this name is used in the future is it better to retain the spelling and have the child constantly have to correct the way it is pronounced? Or is it better to change the spellingto get the nameeveryone understands how to pronounce?

Thanks so much.

Not sure where you're located, but in the US it's pronounced "Jan-it" about 99.99% of the time. If you'd like a different pronunciation, Jeanette is very pretty and will be pronounced "Jean-ETTE" or "Jan-ETTE". Keeping the traditional spelling will cause constant confusion if you want it pronounced differently.
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

I've never heard it say any way other than 'Jan-net/Jan-ette'. I know a few Janet's, and also 2 Jeanette's, but to me they are totally separate names, not just different pronunciations/spellings.