Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Story About Great Great Granny Annie

I've been doing a lot more family history research lately and thought I'd share a funny story I managed to piece together.

One of my great, great grandma's was called Wilhelmina Annie Dale (known as Annie, born in 1863) and -according to my mum's cousin- she was a rather kooky lady who loved reading. I'd already decided her family (the Keeling's) must have been quite keen on names as her sisters have some of the prettiest names in my family tree ((Elizabeth Ida, Violet Louisa Mary, Henrietta Letitia, Alice Lillian, Rose Josephine, Thomasine Norah and Ethel Constance)) but, until recently, I hadn't known the full names of her own children.

Annie had seven kids. The first six of whom were named as follows:

Alma Annie
    William Nelson
    Ethelinda
    Louis Napoleon
    Henry Ethelred
    Sarah Ivy

((Ethell, is a HUGE theme in the Keeling family. It's used as a middle name for almost all of Annie's uncles and was originally her grandmother's maiden name.))

The last of Annie's children, a little girl, was born on the 9th of August 1902 the day upon which Edward the 7th was crowned king of Britain. She named her Cora. Short for Coronation! Although this is something I'd never dream of doing myself I couldn't help but feel a little closer to my great, great granny. She clearly had a great sense of humour!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

That's really cute.

I like the name Annie, but the name Cora, short for Coronation? Yikes. I would not want to do that. You? I know I wouldn't if I were you. I'd use the name Cora and name her Coraline, not Coroantion.

Quote Originally Posted by star_girl View Post
    I like the name Annie, but the name Cora, short for Coronation? Yikes. I would not want to do that. You? I know I wouldn't if I were you. I'd use the name Cora and name her Coraline, not Coroantion.
    You get why Annie did it though, right? Coraline wouldn't have been half as funny ... Also, as far as I know Aunt Cora only ever went by her nickname, Coronation remained her 'paper name'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

That is fabulous.

In my own family tree, I found a great, great aunt named Olive Eats. Olive being her first name and Eats being her surname. I also have a great aunt named Blanche White. Unfortunately these were not a sense-of-humor or ironic naming kind of thing. But they make me laugh all the same.

(Also, I LOVE your name combos. Just the right mix of classic and quirky.)