Names Searched Right Now:
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    I dunno, i might actually be brave enough to use a couple of these.

I've noticed that all my favorite girl names come from history/literature, while my favorite boy names are mostly just nice-sounding

Girls:
    Artemis (lbr I'll probably use this)
    Scout (the only reason i wouldn't use this is its becoming more popular)
    Athena
    Hero (I'm with augusta_lee, i love this on a girl...both the literary reference and the fact that it doesn't conform to gender stereotypes)
    Juno (I'd use this, but will everyone just think of the movie?)
    Echo
    Aslan (i know, it might be inappropriate to name a kid after the lion/savior from Narnia. But it has a nice sound to me, sometimes)
    Hermione (i think it's totally useable and i adore Harry Potter)
    Oswin (too tied to Doctor Who? I am on the fence. People seem to equally love or hate it, but the idea of a curly-haired little spitfire ruining around makes me love it, just for the nickname Ozzy. I love that it's not a traditional girly name, there's not an 'a' in sight. But can i love something when so many people hate it, or will it eventually be ruined for me?)

Boys:
    Pretty much anything goes here
    Atticus (berries seem to either love it or hate it, it feels a bit hipstery to me)
    Jethro (this feels cool and modern to me, but my friend said it sounded like a redneck name)
    Huckleberry. I love this, but could i do that to a child?
    Davey/Davy (everyone says it needs a full name David to go with it, but every man named David I've ever met has been a horrible jerk. I saw a kid at a recent high school graduation and his name was simply Davy. He seemed well-liked, not teased about his name, so i thought it could work. But fellow berries gave it a resounding 'no!')
    Hamish. I think people here would say ham-ish instead of hay-mish.

Also all of my girl names fit close enough with each other, but my boy names are all over the place
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Girls
    Demelza
    Verena
    Kerensa
    Endeavour
    Sojourner
    Caledonia
    Euphemia

Boys
    Cicero
    Prosper
    Jericho
    Ronan (too close to my name)

Most of these usually end up on my middles lists

Quote Originally Posted by littleredone View Post
    Girls
    Demelza
    Verena
    Kerensa
    Endeavour
    Sojourner
    Caledonia
    Euphemia

Boys
    Cicero
    Prosper
    Jericho
    Ronan (too close to my name)

Most of these usually end up on my middles lists
    Ha, I forgot to add Cicero to my boys list. I admire the person, I think the name is really neat, but I think it sounds a bit like "sissy" which is just right out. You and I have similar tastes!
    Married since June 2007, expecting our first child on Christmas Day, 2013

Darcy ~ Rowena ~ Hazel ~ Lorena ~ Leona ~

Eames ~ Miro ~ Bradbury ~ Duval ~ Marshall ~

There aren't too many names I really love that I wouldn't use. In most cases names are ruled out due to the way they sound with our surname.. Or by my husband who is much less 'wild' than me!
    But here are the ones I love that I (probably) wouldn't actually use.

For a boy
    Whim- sounds too much like wimpy
    Atilla- everyone thinks of The Hun
    Rex- dogs name apparently

For a girl
    Emine- pronounced Em-in-ay. Sounds too much like enema!
    Silke- love the sound but too sensual for a child? And the silk worm thing may lead to unflattering nickname
    Thisbe- rhymes with frisbee
    Holiday- so festive! But not quite brave enough to use. I think.
    Emerald- love the gemstone but feels to OTT to use in real life.

Some of my absolute guilty pleasures like Marie-Bonaparte.

I'd also really like to use a Greenlandic name as a first name, but unless you know Kalaallisut it's terrifically hard to pronounce them correctly. Names like Ivik (grass), Aputsiaq (snowflake), Pilutaq (leaf) and Inutsiaq (precious human being) for a boy; and Ivalu (sinew), Najaaraq (younger sister of a man), Aviaaja (cousin) and Vilhelmiinannguaq for a girl, just make me swoon. I'm very passionate about my Greenlandic roots though, so I'll probably end up giving a lot of Greenlandic middles.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"