Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    It makes me think about the Berenstain bears
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

And now introducing Bear! ----->
    O___O
    (*.-.*) <Hunny hunny nom nom <3)
    (”| |“)
    (””|““)

Beren Halfhand

Quote Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    I immediately thought of J.R.R. Tolkien's character, Beren, from the beautiful love story of Beren and Luthien, fully told in "The Silmarillion." Is this where you got the name? If so, I'd love to see you use it. You might have to tell the story when introducing your son, though. Beren was a mortal man who loved an Elf-maiden, Luthien, and through all kinds of suffering and even death they were finally allowed to return to Middle-earth as mortal man and wife. For those familiar with "The Lord of the Rings" but not "The Silmarillion," Beren and Luthien were distant ancestors of both Aragorn and Arwen, and in some ways Aragorn and Arwen's love story was a replay of the story of Beren and Luthien. And Tolkien himself so identified with his story that if you visit the graves of himself and his wife, you will see these words: Edith Mary Tolkien, Luthien, 1889-1971. John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, Beren, 1892-1973.
    Thanks for your comment Auroradawn. My son Beren will be two years old this month. He was indeed named after Tolkien's Beren, a strong, brave, yet romantic, love-guided figure. Many of the values that we hope our son will encapsulate in his lifetime. Through my Husband, i fell in love with the romanticism of Tolkien. He'd had the name in mind since he read about Beren & Luthien over two decades ago. It is pronounced Be-ren, we do get a lot of people get it wrong, which is of course the price you pay for an unusual name. The most common mistake made is people calling/writing his name down as it's rhyme-sake "Derryn", which is a tad annoying. But overall we get a lot of compliments on his name. A name we hope he appreciates the symbology of when he's older.

It immediately rang the Tolkien bell for me too, but honestly most people won't have delved that deeply into LOTR, let alone read the Silmarillion, to know.

I think it's homology with Darren will help it seem name-y to the uninitiated. Perhaps people will think of 'barren,' but I think just as many will think of 'baron,' which is more positive.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)