Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Dorothy?

My sister is having her second daughter and would like to name her Dorothy. Her other daughter is Louisa Eve, after our one grandmother, and now she wants her second daughter to be named Dorothy after our other grandmother. Here are her questions for you guys:

1) She loves Dorothy, but thinks Dorothea might be even better because it's slightly fresher, more unusual, gets rid of the Wizard of Oz connotation, and has the nn Thea. Do you guys prefer Dorothy or Dorothea, and if you prefer Dorothea, do you think her daughter will still be named after our grandmother, or no? That's really important to her.

2) What do you think about Dorothy / Dorothea in general? Be brutally honest. Of course our family likes it, since it's after a family member, so she wants some outside opinions who don't care about hurting her feelings. Do you think a little girl Dorothy sounds strange, do you like the name, do you think it's pretty, etc.?

3) And how about some unusual and distinctive Dorothy/Dorothea combinations, if you're up to it!

Thank you!

I really like it. Dorothy over Dorothea because it is already such a characteristic and fun name and to try and 'pretty it up' just ruins these qualities IMO.

Personally i dont think it is one of the most pretty names but its attractivness is in its quirkyness and strength of character making it very unique.

My favorite combo is Dorothy Penrose

I like Dorothy most in English, but Dorothea most in my native tongue (Swedish), so yes, I like them both! Dorothy nn Dotty is very sweet Either one of them definitely honor a Dorothy IMO. I'd love to meet a little Dorothy! Dorothy Rose, maybe?

Crushing on
    ♥ Rosa ♥ Milvie ♥ Elsie ♥ Flora ♥ Inga ♥ Adele ♥ Fionn ♥ Odin ♥ Ingo ♥ Thore ♥ Ellis ♥ Vilme ♥

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

Quote Originally Posted by sol View Post
    I really like it. Dorothy over Dorothea because it is already such a characteristic and fun name and to try and 'pretty it up' just ruins these qualities IMO.

Personally i dont think it is one of the most pretty names but its attractivness is in its quirkyness and strength of character making it very unique.

My favorite combo is Dorothy Penrose
    I agree with this in terms of the spelling. I love Dorothy--it's a classic!

I love it! It is my great grandma's name and I would love to use it some day...but I am always told its old fashioned. But I suppose lots of names that are old fashioned to begin with have to come back into vogue somehow! If its a family name then use it, and use the spelling of the relative. It just lovely I think (and the wizard of oz reference doesn't bother me). Plus Dot is such a cute nickname for a little girl.
    One Day: Sullivan Webster and Hazel Hilary

"And so with all things: names were vital and important." ~ Algernon H. Blackwood