Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking I need to start my list over from scratch

My daughter's name is Mattie Mae. She was named after a friend who passed away right before she was born (Matt) and my great-grandmother's name was Mary so we chose Mae for her middle name since it's a diminutive of Mary. While I already liked the idea of a vintage nickname, I wasn't crazy about all the Maddies, Maddys, Madisons, and Madelines she would be confused with. I'm proud of those t's although most people don't know about them until they see her name written down. I've grown to love the name Mattie Mae because it really suits her but I somtimes wish we would have named her Matilda because I'm finding it very difficult to choose a sibling name for a future sister. We've already chosen a boy's name (just in case) Jackson Chief. Chief being a family name, believe it or not. When it comes to girls names, I feel like we're stuck in the vintage name zone now. Here are some names we agree on, but nothing is feeling like "the one".

Savannah- although, my cousin had a half sister named Savannah who passed away just after birth about 10 years ago so I don't know if that makes this name off limits.

Hannah- I feel like it's too common and too popular, especially with our Mattie and all those Maddies and Maddys out there.

Maple- This name really has a special place in my heart. My husband and I honeymooned in Canada (maple leaf) and Maple flavoring reminds me so much of my great-grandfather. He was a sucker for anything Maple flavored and would often take me out for Maple donuts. And I'm a baker so... It just feels good to me.

Aria- I love this name so much but it just doesn't feel right with Mattie. They're so different and I think we would have to come up with a middle name that really tied Aria back into feeling like a vintage name.

Sadie- This was what we originally planned on naming Mattie until she became Mattie so although I love it, it still feels like it's Mattie's.

Corinne- We just discovered this name last night and we like it.

Eliza- Mattie really seems to like this one and we like it too.

Names I love that my husband hates: Clara, Hazel, Lainey, Eve or Evie, Sylvie.

Looking for new suggestions and suggestions that include the names we've agreed on as well as thoughts on the names that we've agreed on. I'm also curious about the importance of naming sibling and how to know which names sound good together. Basically, I need a lot of help. I'm a name fanatic but I'm lost.
    Last edited by calliem; April 26th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.

I like Hannah out of the names you've listed. The others just aren't my style, and I really, really dislike Aria and Savannah.

Other suggestions:
    Asa
    Mollly
    Lia/Leah
    Olivia
    Mila
    Elise
    Anna/Anne
    Grace
    Nan
    Elizabeth
    Lena/Lina
    Audrey
    Suzanne
    Talia
    Emma
    Emily
    Elisa
    Gabrielle
    Mia
    Mariella
    Lily
    Eliza
    Lianna/Liana
    Nina
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

My favorites from your list are definitely Maple and Corinne. Both of those are beautiful, and I love that Maple is special to you - I'd definitely keep that as a top contender. I like Sadie, but it's not a "wow" type of name to me. I'm honestly not a fan of any of the other three - Aria is pretty but it's kind of insubstantial and doesn't work that well with Mattie. Hannah is way too popular and I just plain don't like Savannah, sorry!

Here are a few ideas for you:

Edith - Vintage, and I think nickname Edie would be perfect with Mattie. In a different direction, you could also get Edie from Eden.

Lily - I knew sisters named Mattie and Lily once, thought it was nice. Maybe too popular, though? I like Iris and Rose too.

Sonya - I have no idea why, but this popped into my head when thinking about making Aria vintage, so I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck!!

I forgot to mention a few more names. My husband does not like Edie (unfortunately) and we love Lillie but it's the name of my mom's dog (which I named) and we also like Sophie but it was the name of my husbands dog as a child and my step-cousin has a daughter named Sophie (who I never see if that makes a difference). I'm really getting frustrated.

By the way, when I ask my husband what types of names he likes he says they just have to sound good. His only suggestions have been Abigail and Charlotte.

Our last name is very Scottish/Irish sounding and begins with Mc and has a long ee ending. It's also kind of a goofy name used for a lot of cartoonish characters so the first name has to be kind of normal.

I like the special meaning you have for Maple, but I think Mattie and Maple are an odd pair, (and if you have another everyone might expect another M name and you don't want to feel anymore limited). I would suggest Maple as a middle.

I like:
    Savannah Maple
    Eliza Maple

And I would suggest Rosie Maple. Rosie has the same vintage nickname feel as Mattie, (but is more modern than plain Rose and less popular as a first name than Lily). Rosalie Maple could work too.