Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts abou "Jude"

We have two boys. Asher 6 and Micah 4. Baby boy 3 coming in September. Are thinking of Jude but are concearned that it may not be appropriate for a Jewish child. We are not really considering Judah as we have close friends with a Judah. Have any of you met a Jewish Jude?

Also on our list...Eben

Middle name will be Newman as it is a wY o honor my Grandmother.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

LOVE Jude! I think it's so charming and dashing. I have not met a Jewish Jude, sorry, but I haven't met a Jude period, so I am not sure what that says about the issue. I'm sure there are probably some out there. You might want to check out the bullying descriptions at the bottom of this page (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect...y_of_Jude.html)... while it doesn't say if the Judes were actually Jewish or not, it does bring up being teased for the Jew aspect for several of the people that answered the poll.

Regardless, I think Jude could be a charged choice for a Jewish baby (perfect though I'm sure he'll be!), but I love that it means "praise; thanks" and that could be a nice nod to your faith if you're practicing Jews. That's part of the appeal it holds for me, as a Christian.

Eben probably would be safer, but I personally like Jude Newman better.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Well, I thoroughly adore Jude. Actually, our Jude was almost an Asher and I think they'd make fantastic brothers. I actually wondered for a brief moment if anyone would think that Jude was Jewish because of his name, but it didn't really matter. No one has really ever referenced religion in relation to him yet. I don't know that it would be an issue, but I am not Jewish so I don't know if it would be different for you. The only thing I've ever been asked about his name is if I'm a Beatles fan and that is actually rather rare. Also, I agree with Ash that Jude Newman sounds better than Eben .
    Current loves: Theodore & Rosalind

Mommy to Arabella and Jude

I'd be hesitant about Jude on a Jewish child. During WWII, after the Nazis "cleansed" an area of Jews, the area was declared to be Judenrein. Judenfrei was another term that was used.

I love Jude! It's one of my top names as well, but I'm not Jewish. I think it should be fine as long as you don't look incredibly Jewish, or if you tend to have thick-skinned kiddos. I think it would be gorgeous on anyone, personally, but I can see quite the teasing potential... I agree with what Ash about the whole nod to your religion thing (too bad I can't do this being a strong atheist D, although this could pose problems if that were your intentions and later in life he decided he held his beliefs elsewhere. When it comes down to it, though, I would just go for it. Your kid will create the image people think of with the name- first impressions aren't everything like we like to make them out to be.

-linguaphile-
    Boys: Oliver, Felix, Jude, Balthasaru "Ru"
    Girls: Amélie "Millie", Indigo "Indie", Peridot, Jane