Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's YOUR style?

So I realized the heart of my indecisiveness! (Beyond, you know, being a name nerd and a nitwit) - I like two different styles of names.

Let's call style 1 Timeless Classics. You know these names if you can read English. Pretty much everyone has heard of these. What I love about them: don't really date to a decade, are likely to have a number of historic people and celebrities by the name so no one famous person "owns" it, and have a long history of use. What I don't: Some (Hannah, Emily) are in the Top Ten which I find wearing. Even ones that aren't and haven't been for some time (Jane, Caroline) are accused of being "boring" though I find them pretty.

And worst of all, I would feel like having one of these would mean my second list doesn't really work for the next child, and vice verse. I was very sensitive as a child to having the "weird" name while my sister had a "normal" name - I didn't care whether she should have got a weird one or I got a normal one but I wanted them to be "fair!"

I don't love or even like every Timeless Classic I can think of but here is an example of Timeless Classics that I really love.

Girls
    Elizabeth
    Catherine
    Jane
    Hannah
    Emily
    Lily
    Caroline
    Marie (I only like it as a first name)

Boys
    Jonathan
    Alexander
    Benjamin
    Isaac
    Henry
    Joel
    Nathaniel

Okay great but my other category is what I will call Eccentric Old-Fashioned. No modern or made-up names here, but I still think while both might be historic, you can't call Jonathan and Lysander equivalent, can you? Or
    Examples of Eccentric Old-Fashioned:

Girls
    Zelda
    Zephirine
    Rosamund
    Iolantha
    Susannah
    Keziah
    Minerva

Boys
    Lysander
    Alasdair
    Mordecai & Malachi
    Hezekiah
    Ezra
    Josiah

What's YOUR style? Do you just not worry about it, only love one, or also caught between two or more?

I don't really worry about it. I like a few names from every style - old fashioned, modern, classic, etc. If I hear a name I like, I write it down and don't ponder too much if it fits my "style". Obviously it does because I like it!
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

If anything, I would say I have a very eclectic style, just like Lucy, if I see or hear a name I like, I write it down and give it some thought, I don't particularly stick to a certain style or type, at least I don't think so? My favorite names are a big mix of different cultures, sounds and even some place names! See my signature for examples!

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

The only time i worry about style is when it comes to sibsets. I love uncommon names though, preferably names that ARENT in the top 100.

When I first started looking for names, I felt very bound by the idea that I had to stay within one style. I have what you call a Timeless Classic name, as do all three of my sisters. Even our middle names fall into that category. So, at first, I felt uncomfortable liking anything outside of that because it felt "wrong". I kept trying to find a name in that category that I loved, but I was having a lot of trouble because I either liked the full name and not the nicknames or vice versa.

Once I gave myself permission to like other names (really, how weird is it that I had to do that!), I found that my "style" is all over the place. I like names that have an international feel to them, names like Petra and Alessandra. I like names that are Biblical - Eve and Elizabeth. I like what my husband calls "grandma" names, names like Lenore, Hazel, and Thea. So, I've given up on trying to fit what I like into what I "should" like, and it's been much easier to try to find names that I'm happy with.