Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naming popularity question

I was recently looking at the top 100 popular names on this website and I was very upset to realize that my favorite girls name from my childhood was in the top 100. (I won't say the name for fear of bringing more attention to it). However when I thought I about it I wondered how much I really have to worry about this popularity list when it comes to knowing a lot of different kids with this name. I work in a child center at a health club where I see hundreds of kids ages 6 weeks to 12 years every day. I have never met one child with this name. I have however met a TON of little girls with the name Marina name which is 640 on the list. Do you think I should still be concerned and veto my favorite name in favor of something more unique? I really hate the idea of my daughter being in a class with several other girls with her name. How seriously should I take this popularity list?

It may not be very popular where you live because it seems like popularity varies across the country. There are a lot of kids who live in this area who have duplicate names, but they aren't the most popular names that I hear all the time here either. I would suggest using a name you love because you never know what will happen once she gets to school.

I have found the same thing and if you go to http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ you can look at the popularity of names by state...maybe that will help. I found on a baby naming site my fav name was 46 and in our state it was never in the top 100 So we can go with it!

Wow! Looking at it by state makes a huge difference! Thank you!

Obviously the state thing makes a big difference! haha. I was going to suggest it, too, but you've already checked, apparently.

Honestly, popularity doesn't really matter to me--I would use Olivia, which is one of my favorites, even though it ranks number four, both in my state and nationally. But I agree, popularity varies by area. I'm fairly sure Ava is in the top 10 in my state, but I have never met one. Autumn ranks around 80 or so in my state, but I know 10! You just can't predict how these things will go.

Hopefully looking at the state ranks has instilled more hope in using the name--it's a bit hard to give advice when we don't know the name, but you obviously love it, and it sounds like your state ranking was quite good news.

Good luck!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus