Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Australian versus American pronunciation

Okay so I really like Elaina as a possible middle name, a lot of Berries have said they prefer Elena. But in Australia it's pronounced as it looks. Should I be bothered worrying about middle name pronunciation or is it not as significant as it'll rarely be used?

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I actually disagree with you about it's pronunciation in Australia. I'm Australian and have always said Elena like Elaina and I recently met an Elena who is about 18-19 and she pronounced it the same way.

It's really a beautiful name and the Elena spelling is so pretty. Stick with Elena because in the middle it's not like she's going to have any issue with spelling or pronunciation problems anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by indianruby View Post
    I actually disagree with you about it's pronunciation in Australia. I'm Australian and have always said Elena like Elaina and I recently met an Elena who is about 18-19 and she pronounced it the same way.

It's really a beautiful name and the Elena spelling is so pretty. Stick with Elena because in the middle it's not like she's going to have any issue with spelling or pronunciation problems anyway.
    . Really? What state are your from? I find where I live everyone says things the way they are spelt.

Living down under...

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations

Quote Originally Posted by indianruby View Post

. Really? What state are your from? I find where I live everyone says things the way they are spelt.

Living down under...

Other considerations

Really? I've never heard Elena said eh-LEE-nah. It's always eh-LAY-nah or EL-en-ah... eh-LEE-nah would be Elina to me. I agree that if it's a MN I would just opt for Elena--it looks so much classier than Elaina to me!

I looked Elena up on forvo (http://www.forvo.com/word/elena/#es), and the majority of them say it quite close to eh-LAY-nah. There was one eh-LEE-nah in Canada, but I think the majority of people everywhere say it eh-LAY-nah...
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter