Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need brutally honest opinions

Hey there,
    We're contemplating the name Cormac (pronounced Cormick)...
    Any thoughts? Have gotten comments that it's hard to pronounce...
    Thanks so much!

I don't think it's hard to pronounce really at all, I've seen way worse pronunciation issues. I like the name alright, is there a story behind it?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

I don't think that it's hard to pronounce! I think that some people are automatically put off of names that don't seem familiar to them. I don't want to be presumptous, but that may have been where the comments about it being hard to pronounce came from. The pronunciation seems quite intuitive to me.

I would imagine that most people have at least a passing familiarity with it because of Cormac McCarthy. He's very well-known, and some of his books have been made into big movies (No Country For Old Men won the Academy Award for best picture, and the Road was quite big as well). I think that makes it a bit more usable.

I had a class a few years ago with a boy named Cormick, spelled that way, and from that one class and the few brief interactions I had with him the name seemed to work well for him. He went by Cormick, not a nickname or his middle name or anything, and I don't recall the teacher or anyone else in the class every having any trouble pronouncing it.

Cormac is very cool! I know how to pronounce it, but I am names nerd.
    I can see some people not knowing how to pronounce it properly, but I don't think it will be a major issue. You might have spelling issues though, when people hear Cormick they will most likely spell it that way.

This was the first time I saw that name, so my first impression was to pronounce it Cormack, not -mick. If you're not worried about constantly correcting people like me, then it's alright