Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Isla popular?

I've been seeing the name Isla around and really like it. Is it really popular right now? I don't actually know of any little Islas, just seen the name online. Do you all know any little girls named Isla?

I do not want a name that there will be others of the same name in her class.

I too keep hearing that it's becoming more popular. We are going to name our summer baby Isla, however, since I have yet to come across any other Islas anywhere. I grew up wanting to name my child Ava and lo and behold it BLEW UP the year I had her, but I still used it because it's just her name, you know? Don't worry too much about popularity, if it fees like the right name to you.
    Ava Isobella 4yrs

Isla Jean 2yrs

I'm dealing with the same thing right now with Isla. My husband LOVES it, but it's one of the fastest growing names right now so I'm worried it's going to turn into the next Emma/Ella etc. I think it's still a beautiful name regardless of its potential popularity, so if you really love it, then go for it .. Another option is Islay or Elsa if you're looking for something with a similar vibe.

I know what you mean about Ava! I love that name, but way too popular now for my tastes. I've asked a couple of people in my area about Isla so far, and both of them have never even heard the name. Maybe it's not hit my area yet? Still makes me a little nervous though, but I think it's such a pretty name.

I don't really like "lay" in Islay and I already have an Elsie, so Elsa is out. I do have a couple other name options I like (Violet and Vera). I'm due in 2.5 weeks, so just perusing the name options again to make sure I have some good ones to choose from.

Here in Northern England it's common, and not just for little girls (I know several women ages 20+ names Isla). But I'm assuming you live in the US. Also remember that even if you use something totally obscure, there is always the chance that she won't be the only one in the class. There is also the chance there may be no Avas or Isabellas or Olivias in her class. There just isn't a way to tell, sadly.

If you decide against Isla, what about these? - (Some are similar sounding or have the same feel, others are the sisters of a few girls named Isla I know)

Ivy
    Iris
    Eva
    Veda
    Esme
    Alice
    Mila
    Evie
    Freya
    Iona
    Eleni
    Orla (or spelt the Irish way Orlaith)
    Iola
    Thea
    Aoife (EE-fer)
    Emer (EE-mer)
    Lila
    Faye
    Anona
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student / traveller, obsessively maternal and owner of darling black cat Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Eilidh