Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I LOVE Phoebe! This has been on my girl list for years...hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to use it.

Here are some of my favorite names to go with Phoebe...

Millicent - From the Germanic name Amalasuintha, composed of the elements amal "work, labour" and swinþ "strength". Amalasuintha was a 6th-century queen of the Ostrogoths. The Normans introduced this name to England in the form Melisent or Melisende. Melisende was a 12th-century queen of Jerusalem, the daughter of Baldwin II.

Abra - Soft, sensitive feminine form of Abraham that was the name of a soft, sensitive character in the John Steinbeck book and movie, "East of Eden." In the bible, Abra was a favorite of King Solomon and it was a popular name in 17th century England.

Araminta - Meaning unknown. This name was (first?) used by William Congreve in his comedy 'The Old Bachelor' (1693) and later by Sir John Vanbrugh in his comedy 'The Confederacy' (1705). This was the real name of abolitionist Harriet Tubman (1820-1913), who was born Araminta Ross.

Matilda - From the Germanic name Mahthildis meaning "strength in battle", from the elements maht "might, strength" and hild "battle". Saint Matilda was the wife of the 10th-century German king Henry I the Fowler. The name was brought to England by the Normans, being borne by the wife of William the Conqueror himself. It was popular until the 15th century in England, usually in the vernacular form Maud. Both forms were revived by the 19th century. This name appears in the popular Australian folk song 'Waltzing Matilda', written in 1895.

Florence - From the Latin name Florentius or the feminine form Florentia, which were derived from florens "prosperous, flourishing". Florentius was borne by many early Christian saints, and it was occasionally used in their honour through the Middle Ages. In modern times it is mostly feminine.
    The name can also be given in reference to the city in Italy, as in the case of Florence Nightingale (1820-1910). She was a nurse in British hospitals during the Crimean War and is usually considered the founder of modern nursing.

I love Eleanor. It was my 1st thought, even though I have used Katherine, Elizabeth, and Susanna with my real-life children but don't have a little Eleanor of my own. Beautiful, timeless, historical, literary... perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by lori johnson View Post
    One idea is ...

Phoebe [and] Dorcas

... Biblical, Greek, Shakespearean names.

[and]

Another is ...

Phoebe [and] Beatrice

... Salingerean, Shakespearean names.

Dorcas? Maybe I'm being immature, but that name makes LOL!

Lol my first thought on Dorcas was also "....um, no?"

Names with as much weight and history as Phoebe could be:

Rhea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhea
    Dione http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dione
    Miranda
    Alice
    Charlotte

For the record, all moons have names from mythology, and likely crossovers with Shakespeare so NASA is a good website to start looking. But I get a sense that you are not necessarily looking for those things, but rather a name with lots of depth and history -- a multifaceted names with lots of different things to love
    Last edited by moxielove; April 21st, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Wow! Great suggestions! I love so many of them...Helena and Susanna are on my short list. I love the suggestions of Juno, Matilda (love the meaning of this one, which I didn't know!), Tabitha, and Eve. Iris and Beatrice are loves of mine, but don't work with my last name, sadly.