Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names with History and Weight

I was talking with my daughter, Phoebe, about why we chose her name the other day. All the reasons we loved it came back to the forefront-she's mythological! she's Biblical! she's Shakesperean! she's Salinger-ian!- she's a moon! she's a bird!-No wonder she stood head and shoulders above the rest when she chose her. But I feel like, when the time comes to name another daughter (hopefully very soon!) I want a name with as much meaning and history. What other names can you think of that stand up to Phoebe?

Susanna(h) - flower, Biblical, a lily in Biblical Hebrew and a rose in modern Hebrew, and a name Shakespeare named his daughter. Susie is cute but Susannah is timeless.

Elizabeth - Biblical, royal, historic weight, a variety of nicknames to suit any personality, never trendy, always classic, array of namesakes stretching back thousands of years.

Minerva/Athena - A goddess of wisdom, of war and craft, a wise woman. Associated with owls. At the moment I am favouring Minerva but I reserve the right to change my mind. Wikipedia quote: "goddess of poetry, medicine, wisdom, commerce, weaving, crafts, magic.[1] She is often depicted with her sacred creature, an owl usually named as the "owl of Minerva"[2], which symbolizes her ties to wisdom."

Iris - Flower, both a highly specialized delicate garden flower and a hardy roadside wildflower depending on variety. More colours than any rose or lily. Named after a messenger goddess; the goddess of rainbows. Some say the fleur de lis of France is an iris; others hold that it is the lily. Iris on wikipedia: "is the personification of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. She is also known as one of the goddesses of the sea and the sky. Iris links the gods to humanity. She travels with the speed of wind from one end of the world to the other,[1] and into the depths of the sea and the underworld."

I very much like the previous suggestions of Beatrice, Iris and Minerva. Others:

Mary - Pretty much the quintessential "history and weight" name! You don't get to be the most popular name in the world for 400 years without that. Biblical of course, but also royal and literary, tons of great namesakes. Miriam (the original Hebrew) or Maria (the Spanish) each have their own individual charm with the same pedigree.

Katarina - Of course Katherine in all forms is classic, but this one may have the most of what you're looking for. You have the Shakespearean Katharina, as well as Catherine the Great (Yekaterina in Russian). Matches well stylistically with Phoebe, I think.

Diana - Roman goddess and British princess, as well as Shakespearean character and many others.

Esther - Biblical queen, and derivative Hester was, of course, used by Hawthorne.

All the suggestions so far are great ones (I particularly love Beatrice, Iris, and Esther). Helen (and all variations) is name that I think falls into this category (the most beautiful woman in the world, "the face that launched a thousand ships"), as well as Josephine (Biblical and historical--I think of Empress Josephine, wife of Napoleon). There are so many, but those are a couple of my favorites.

I agree with pp suggestion of Susannah, but I also love Tabitha! biblical, yet a little "other worldly". Goes wonderfully with Phoebe, imo. Also love Aurora, Alyssa, Rowan and Lydia with Phoebe!