Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

nickname for a new foster baby

We brought home a newborn baby from the hospital. I don't love her given name and while I have to use it with the state, I'd like to consider a name for her that has a good meaning that we can call her. If she goes back to her mom, then obviously she'd stay with her given name, but if she were to be adopted then this would be the name we'd use.

I want meanings that represent foster care or adoption like protected, new life, wanted, cherished, etc.

I am not partial to single syllable names, and I like flowery girly names, but also unique, not ones on top 50 or 100 usually.

what do you guys recommend?

I think depedning on how long you'll have her and how likely it is that she will go back to her mother, it might make sense to use a name that isn't too different to her birth name that would be used there, as she wouldn't have to get used to a whole different name (that makes sense if she stays with you for quite a while).
    Other than that you might like: Clara (bright/clear), Lucy (light), Helena (shining light), Annabel (loving), Esme (loved), Felicity (good fortune, happy), Lettie (joy, gladness from Letitia)
    Current Favourites

Alice Cordelia | Lavinia Charlotte | Jane Leonora | Flora Penelope

What is her name? Maybe a spinoff or shortened version of that.

Haven
    Damaris (gentle woman)
    Chelsea (safe harbor)
    Blythe
    Nouvel
    January (first month/new year/representing new beginnings)
    Janvier (french ^)
    Any tree or plant is symbolic of new beginnings and being rooted somewhere:
    Juniper
    Oaklen/Oaklyn
    Cypress
    Iris
    Rosa
    Roselle
    Jade
    Jada
    Yasmin
    Jessamine
    Briar
    .... Seren .... Clarity ... Verity ... Charity ... or something to do with the month you began fostering her: Mae, Maylin, Maeve, Maybelle, Maeva, Maven, Maelys (MAY-liss)
    Boy Favorites 💙 Jacob 💚 Corbin 💛 Caleb ❤️ Elijah 💙 Elias 💚 Lennox 💛 Jace ❤️ Reed:Reid

💙 Schuyler 💚 Kai 💛 Micah ❤️ Sawyer 💙 Noah 💚 Lachlan 💛 Ashton ❤️ William 💙 Ty:Tye

💚 Xavier 💛 Ethan ❤️ Leighton 💙 Everett 💚 Emrys 💛 Malachi ❤️ Aidan 💙 Terence

I agree that it should be something that correlates to her current given name to lessen any confusion should she go to her mother later on. Either that, or a more pet-name type name, which any little baby might be called, and then if she winds up permanently in your custody you can extend that into a more formal name.