Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

And now we need girls' names

Hello Nameberry! It's late at night, at the least where I live, but I can't fall back asleep. If you did not see our other thread, I will explain that I am French Canadian, my husband is English, we are living in England but will probably relocate frequently due to jobs, and we need a name! We have yet to find out the gender of the baby, so we think it best to have names for both a boy and a girl.

Our girl options currently are Emma, Louise, Camille, and Rose. Emma has the appeal of being popular across Europe, while Louise is both my sister and my grandmother of my husband's name. We both adore Camille. This is a boy and a girl's name in French, but it is more used for girls in Québec. We agree that the French pronunciation of kah-MEE (there is a short little breath sound at the end, but my English-husband can have trouble with that). Yet is it worthy to enforce that pronunciation? We also both like Rose, but think it's a little on the side of short.

Any suggestions or honest opinions are appreciated.
    Expecting a little girl in late October!

Rosalba Camille?

I love Emma. I know it's SUCH a popular name across Europe and North America but it is absolutely beautiful and honestly, I don't get sick of it even if I hear it 20 times a day (which I don't but still). There are other names whose popularity bothers me but Emma isn't one of them.
    Louise is also lovely and would work in many languages. Here in Germany it's rather popular, along with Louisa and Luis and I am hearing it a bit too often for it to still excite me.
    I'm personally not a huge fan of Camille and probably wouldn't choose it if I were looking for an international name, it's a nice choice but if your child would have to always correct people, I'm not sure it's worth it.
    I also adore Rose but I often find names ending in -a to translate better in (European) languages.

A few suggestions: Clara, Nora, Lena, Rosa, Ella, Matilda, Flora, Mia, Mila, Emilia, Lea, Carla, Martha/Marta, Luna, Amelia, Tessa, Lucia, Elsa, Milla
    Alice Matilda | Flora Penelope | Rose Lavinia | Ada Rosalind

Charlotte - Clara - Cordelia - Emma - Arthur - August - Elliott - Henry - Hugo

Possible Nicknames: Lizzie, Fleur, Rosie, Lottie, Kitty, Emmy, Artie, Ottie

All your options are lovely! And incredibly international. I can imagine meeting a little Emma, Louise, Camille, or Rose in a variety of countries and nationalities, and they're all so gorgeous!

I'm not sure I can pick, honestly--I think I'm leaning toward Emma or Louise as they have the least amount of problems, but I love the French pronunciation of Camille (although I feel like it'd be a headache to enforce in an English-speaking country. I know no one here would ever say it right!). Maybe as a MN? Emma Camille, Louise Camille, and Rose Camille are all gorgeous! I especially love Rose Camille and Emma Camille.

If you think Rose is on the short side, what about a longer form? Rosalie, Rosamund/Rosamond, Rosabelle, Rosa, Rosemary/Rosemarie, Primrose, Rosalind, Rosalinda, etc.?

The only ideas I seem to have are names that I know are (or were!) popular in Quebec or France--names like Coralie, Aurélie, Laura, Nathalie, Amélie, Lola, Clara, Rosalie, Sylvie, etc. I think Anouk would be a really fun option for a French-Canadian-English little girl, too! Part French, really quite international, and so spunky and unusual. I think Anouk Camille would be gorgeous, too.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd & aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace + Caleb Elias Joseph + Arianne Eleanor Daisy + Everett Joshua Charles + Olivia Wren Camille
    Grant Frédéric Conrad + Violet Emilia Mary + Casper Nathaniel Eden + Grace Odilia Lily + Samuel Gaspard John

I've recently started a new story--feel free to come along with me for the journey! havengermany.blogspot.com
    Chapter 1 is up! And an author's note! (Alas, don't get too excited.)

To opheliaflora: You make a good point. I suppose that -a names would usually be more phonetic. My problem with that is, many French names for girls end in -e, which is what would make them feminine. Also, if we ever had two daughters, we would want different endings. Doubles of -a seem too repetitive. Would a name like Louise be pronounced differently in German (I see that is where you live)?

To ashthedreamer- You seem to know a lot about French! Yes, most of the names you have mentioned are popular in Québec. I really like Rosalie, and will propose it to my husband. I think that, with all of the problems in pronunciation, we are leaning towards using Camille as either a middle or not at all. I'm not sure Anouk is quite our style. It just doesn't seem that mature or that feminine to me, sorry.

Rosalba Camille?

He doesn't like Rosalie! It's a shame, because I was beginning to love it. He says that the -lee bugs him, but that he likes other rose- names.

He likes Tessa and Lea, and he thinks that Amélie might grow on him. I really like Tessa. I am putting that on the list. Thanks!

Rosalba Camille?