• Esther

14 20.90%
  • Hannah

17 25.37%
  • None of the above - keep looking!

2 2.99%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Gathering Opinions - and a Poll!

I think we've finalized our list of options for a girl. Here are some thoughts on the choices:

Ariella nn Ari (lion of god) - This would be my favorite if it weren't for two big drawbacks. I love the meaning of the name, and I love the nn Ari. But (and I've posted here about this problem previously) the name, which is a traditional, Hebrew name, has been caught up in the "ella" craze. I fear it is now trendy; I can live with popular, but the thought of trendy turns my stomach. I've done a number of internet searches for the name, and when I run across someone on (another) a baby name website asking about it, the person almost invariably has it alongside some truly atrocious, misspelled, trashy-sounding names. Or people comment on how "cute" it is. I am terrified - truly terrified - that we'll pick this name and its genuine history will mean nothing alongside its current usage and that the name will ultimately come to be considered trashy.

Aviva (spring) - The only real drawback to this name is that I can't find a nn (which I do like to have) I like. I'm not wild about the idea of Avi, Viv, Viva, or Vivi, and no others have occurred to me.

Esther - This name doesn't sound as great with our last name; it's not awful, but it's not good either. Apparently Essie is a common nn for Esther, and I cannot countenance having my daughter called Essie.

Hannah (compassionate or gracious) - This is more popular than I'm really comfortable with, and there are no good nicknames.
    Last edited by freya_1983; May 16th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

I think there are too many drawbacks with Ariella. I have the same issue with Isobel, I love it BUT.... too much stuff. I think Esther is a lovely name. Tess is an accepted nickname for Esther, maybe that's more appealing. These are less common but what about Etta or Hettie?
    Sara Beth Cook wife to Ross Allen Cook 03.11.06
    Mama to Lilla Clare 12.05.09 and Vivienne Grace 03.16.12
    DH Currently Deployed will be TTC #3 Winter 2014
    Sylvie | Rosalie | Cecily | Eleanor | Isobel | Rufus | Jasper | Graham | Rupert | Wes

Aviva!!! I love Esther, and Hannah is okay, and yes, Ariella might get lumped into the -ella fad, but Aviva is so gorgeous. What about just Vee as a nickname? I am not a fan of Viv or Vivi either, but Vee (or just V) is charming.

Esther is a timeless classic. (It's a name I would consider using, but hubby vetoed it as he thinks it's too 'old lady'). But I think of Queen Esther, and I also went to school with a lovely Esther, who was fun and full of life, so it's kept the name fresh for me. She didn't go by a nn. You could call her star? She might get called Easter, around Easter time. Shame it doesn't match well with your last name..

i'm an Esther and i'm 16, and i've never been called Essie before, just Esther or Tess, I love my name it's a classic c: