Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Irish Girls Name...Possibly Associated with Water?

Hey all,
    I'm looking for an Irish name to be used on my main character. She's a female, but I'm open to using traditionally male names for a girl. I'm interested in finding a name that relates in some way to water, ocean, swimming, etc. but haven't been able to come across anything that has really stood out to me. Any suggestions?

There aren't many names on Nameberry that were Irish, had to do with water, and were easy to pronounce in English (I'm guessing you're writing in English?). I did find a few, though:
    Meara
    Moira
    Isla, which technically is Scottish.

I also looked up lists of Ireland's lakes and rivers - maybe the character could have been named after the lake her parents met at or something? Here's what I found:
    (Lake) Lene
    Clea (Lake)
    Lacy ('s Canal)

Hope that helped a bit

I'm going to assume that you mean the Republic of Ireland and list off the river and lake/lough names from there which, I think, can maybe work for a girl.

Irish Rivers:
    Fane
    Boyne
    Liffey
    Avoca
    Bann
    Vartry
    Erkina
    Suir
    Dalua
    Bride
    Lee
    Bandon
    Llen
    Shannon
    Brosna
    Moy
    Erne
    Annalee
    Cladagh (Be aware, this is also a style of jewelry involving a heart, two hands and a crown!)
    Eske
    Feale

Irish Lakes/Loughs:
    Allan
    Arrow
    Beg
    Carra
    Conn
    Corrib
    Key (My nickname!)
    Lene
    Owel
    Ramor
    Ree
    Rynn
    Sheelin
    Sillan

If you wanted to go with a word relating to water translated into Gaelic:
    Water: Uisce (Pronounced Ish-keh)
    River: Abhainn (Au-wann)
    Lake: Loch (Lock)
    Drop: Titim
    Rain: Báisteach (Bou-shteak)
    Drizzle: Ceobhrán (Cou-ran)
    Sea: Farraige (Far-rig)

Just to warn you, if your character is actually living in Ireland then she would be a laughing stock; Absolutely no one in Ireland is named anything on these lists, except for Shannon, Allan, Annalee, and Lee. If they were in America or someplace I guess it would be alright but definately not here! Good luck with your story
    Alice O'Dea, Simona Valentine, Link North, Eli Deacon, Benny Snowden
    My own characters!
    Read my novel here:
    http://www.wattpad.com/story/1193276-love-letters

I live near lough Erne (air-n) which woudl make a nice girls name.

Cliodhna (clay-na/clio-na) was an irish goddess who was washed away to sea after falling in love with and marrying a mortal
    Niamh (neev) was the daughter of the sea.

I agree with nikitaj though, be careful with some of those river and word names, because they could end up being ridiculous!

thanks a lot, this is super helpful. I'm leaning towards going with Llen or Loch. My story is set in a futuristic US, would that be an inappropriate time for any of these names? My character has never lived in Ireland, she's 4th generation.