Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We need help...super picky

I was sent here from another forum I am on because they said you ladies are the best when it comes to this stuff, so here goes......

I need help. We are planning to go check out the books we used last time, especially the one that helped us narrow it down (I love good "Here's how you do it." stuff). Anyway, the first step is pulling all names you even remotely like. This kinda becomes a problem when you come from a family in which is it horribly bad to name your child with a name that is the same or similar to anyone that is still alive (we're Jewish). Plus, DH's grandfather died last Fall and he wants to try to incorporate him somehow (it is traditional to name our baby for someone who has passed...although technically it is my side's turn since T is named exclusively for DH's side). But I digress. I need help finding names....we prefer Hebrew, but it doesn't HAVE to be. E's first name is actually Spanish, but it's a family name. DH's grandfather's name was Freddie Herbert (and no, we aren't using either of those names). Fred means peace and Herbert means warrior. Websites, suggestions, books....all appreciated. I even pulled out my biblical texts (I have a full Tanach) and I am just starting to decide this kid will be nameless forever.

Here are the names that are ruled out because someone in our family already has them:

Boy
    Joel
    Benjamin
    Samuel
    Aaron
    Joseph
    Daniel
    Mordechai (wasn't planning on ever using that anyway)
    Jay (or any form of Yaakov)
    Elliot
    David
    Dovid
    Marty
    Michael
    Alexander
    Steven
    Phillip
    Eli (in any form)
    Solomon
    Edward
    Adam
    Leslie
    Lawrence
    Trippe
    Isaac

Girl
    Karen
    Hope
    Vivian
    Lauren
    Joann
    Shoshanah (that's my name)
    Leah
    Sara
    Beth
    Elizabeth
    Frances
    Laurie
    Ellen
    Amy
    Rachel
    Orli
    Sharon
    Betty
    Erika
    Rebecca
    Lynn
    Ciara
    Nicole
    Shira
    Elisha

This is my third baby, and this is the first time we are not finding out the gender. My oldest is a boy - Elias (pronounced e-ly-us, my Mother's maiden name after my GF) Solomon (after my late Uncle Stuart/Sandy), my second is a girl - Talia Hadassah (after DH's GM Faye/Flora and some great Uncle or something named Harry). I LOVE their names and need this one to go with it. Our last name starts with a B, so I don't really want to use any names that start with B.
    Last edited by code3chica; April 13th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Welcome to nameberry! I hope we can help. By the way, I love Elias and Talia! Good choices! I met someone in Mexico named Gerson but pronounced Her-son. It kindof reminded me of Herbert.

Some other ideas for boys, though I don't know if these are your style:
    Ian
    Meshael or Misael - someone just told me about this name and I think it's great!
    Hosea
    Caleb

Best of luck!
    Baby Hernández is due Nov. 22!!

I love Hiram for a boy for you! Either first or middle. It's Hebrew, and it incorporates the H for Herbert.
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend... 6/9/07

Margot Helen
    Ingrid Naomi
    Zelda Irene

Gwyneth*Thea*Portia*Rosalind*Thalia

Ephraim Charles
    Linus Arthur
    Cedric Jame

Conrad*Leander*Cormac*Leopold*Casimir*Augustin*Sil as*Dexter*Alasdair

Welcome!

There is another thread that was started very recently (today, I think) that has a bunch of Hebrew names in it. I think this link should work to take you there: Hebrew Names Thread

Suggestions (copied from some of the posts in the thread to get you started):

Girls:
    Atara(h)
    Aviva
    Malka
    Yael
    Avigail
    Merav
    Eden
    Keturah
    Leah
    Hadassah
    Noa
    Talia
    Vered
    Tirtza (love this one!)
    Amitai
    Eliora
    Raziela
    Erela(h)
    Nava
    Hadara
    Meital
    Talor
    Ayelet
    Livna
    Rivka
    Zipporah
    Elisheva
    Devora(h)
    Liat
    Adara
    Tavi
    Davida
    Elisheva
    Doveva
    Eila
    Tovah
    Ivria

Boys:
    Abi/Avi
    Sivan
    Aviram
    Ari
    Shai/Shay
    Shuah/Shu'a
    Biran
    Eliab
    Eilon
    Idan
    Jehiel
    Maor
    Nadiv
    Abiel/Aviel/Avi'el
    Nahum/Nachum
    Elichai
    Ori
    Avidan
    Rami/Rani
    Sason
    Etham
    Moshe
    Pesach
    Yahel
    Gera/Gerai
    Tzafrir
    Rafi/Rafe/Raffi/Raphi
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

Hebrew names relating to Peace/Dove
    Shiloh
    Jemima
    Shulamit (Shula, Sula)
    Absalom
    Jonah
    Shalom
    Zalman

Other names I think would be great with your other kids
    Asher
    Simeon
    Noam