Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Baby Naming Rules

Do you have any baby naming rules for your family?

I think everyone... my husband, myself, and each of my children should have their own first initial, so no repeating first letters for our names. This could make things around the house a little easier, marking things with a single letter to demonstrate ownership. It may even help with not mixing up their names (although, I am not sure about that one).

Also, no alteration for our first and last name.

My husband has already stated no feminine forms of masculine names, (Georgina, Josephine, Augusta, etc.).

What about you?
    Last edited by lucky lindy; April 13th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Ohhh I think I'll make a list of mine

1. No repeating initials or sound
    2. No ending in the same sounds (ie Helena & Sophia)
    3. Can't have Irish, Celtic, welsh, British origins (I just think it would look weird on my kids)
    4. No family first names

I have kind of specific rules, but they seem to change often
    Mariposa
    Not expecting, just collecting!

1) No family names. Husband's family has no tradition of passing down names. In my family, only the men pass down names, and my brother has already passed the family name to his son.

2) Per Husband's request, no "weird" names. The definition of "weird" is currently up for debate in our house.

3) No made-up names, names of flowers, trees, or geographical elements (except for Rose. Lily, Laurel, Willow, River, Skye, Raine, etc are not acceptable to Husband.), or names of places that aren't traditional names (Bromley - no, Georgia - yes, etc).

I'm much more open to looking at different names. Husband is having a tough time wrapping his mind around naming a child he can't see, feel, hear, or touch yet. He'll come around. Or I'll make him. Whatever comes first.
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

My only "rule" is that the name honors family. My husband however feels the name has to be a "real" name so no place names, virtue names, etc.

My husband and I decided that if we choose to honor someone the name has to be related to the name of the person being honored, either by meaning or an actual variation of the name in question. We feel that choosing an unrelated name is basically wanting to honor without admitting you dont like the honoree's name so it doesnt count. If the honoree suggests a name they would prefer instead thats fine.

Nothing with a negative meaning (Cecilia is fine, Mallory is not) or bad connotations.

No names that we are completely unfamiliar with.

No brands, places (he is willing to make exceptions), colors, or things for the most part.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves