Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Etienne for a girl?

I've always loved the name Etienne, but for a girl. I know, I know, it is a boys name. But if you don't live in a French speaking area, will anyone know that?

Can it work for a girl? I mean we have a ton of boys names that are now unisex or only girl's names now. I feel like the "enne" ending makes it sound feminine.

It is all boy to me. Have you considered Etiennette?
    Looking for a unique yet legitimate name, check out my growing database of names, I have names from Albanian to Yiddish http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com

I would NOT use Etienne for a girl - just because you're not in a French speaking area doesn't mean your daughter won't eventually live in one. (That doesn't even have to be France or French Canada - there are large Francophone communities in Maine and Louisiana in the U.S.) I try to think about the child's future in addition to right now.

There are a lot of great -enne ending names, if that's what you like about Etienne - besides the obvious like Adrienne and Vivienne, there's Fabrienne, Lucienne and Vienne.

Ultimately, use what you like, but that's my opinion. Good luck!

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Well I think it's a general knowledge thing to know that Étienne is a boy's name. But the -ienne is usually feminine like you said so maybe it would work. Well, I'd say it works but it is not very often that I "lose" one of my favourite boys names to the girls; I think Berries who have "lost" a lot of favourite boy names would probably oppose it. I don't know how berries who like Étienne for a boy will feel about anyone using it on a girl.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

I completely understand why you like it for a girl, but I don't think it's usable. There are French speakers everywhere, and your child is bound to run into one at some point in her life. I think using Etienne would be a disadvantage to a girl. If she ever takes up French or travels to France or Canada, her name may come across as culturally ignorant. There are lots of other -enne names for girls that may appeal:
    Lucienne
    Emilienne
    Maximilienne
    Adrienne
    Arienne
    Fabienne
    Felicienne
    Vivienne