Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hebrew names

Hebrew names

Hi Berries!

I'm Jewish, and I've been thinking recently about naming my future children with Hebrew names. I've compiled a list of some I've come across. Any you like? Others you know? I'm afraid my boys' list is quite short. Also, do you prefer girls' names that end in -a with or without that final -h?

Girls

Atara(h)
    Aviva
    Malka
    Yael
    Avigail
    Merav
    Eden
    Keturah
    Leah
    Hadassah
    Noa
    Talia
    Vered
    Tirtza
    Bar
    Amitai
    Eliora
    Raziela
    Erela(h)
    Nava
    Hadara
    Meital
    Talor
    Ayelet
    Livna
    Rivka
    Zipporah
    Elisheva
    Devora(h)
    Liat
    Adara
    Tavi
    Davida
    Elisheva
    Doveva
    Eila
    Tovah
    Ivria

Boys

Noam
    Zev
    Savyon
    Lev
    Oren
    Ronen
    Raanan
    Simcha
    Uzziel
    Yarden
    Itai
    Dovev
    Eilam
    Gidon

Curious to hear your responses!
    -Nicole

So many good ones here. I like:

Atarah (though it's close to Atari)
    Aviva
    Malka
    Yael
    Noa
    Talia
    Nava
    Rivka
    Adara
    Tavi
    Tovah

I also love the name Raya. One of my friends used this for her daughter, and I think it's beautiful.

Noam and Lev are my faves from your boy's list.

With names that end in A, I don't care either way if there's an H at the end unless it's a name (like Hannah for example) that i almost always see with the H, in which case the name looks incomplete without it.

Here's the ones I like form your list:

Girls

Aviva
    Eden
    Keturah
    Leah
    Talia
    Eliora
    Rivka
    Zipporah
    Adara
    Doveva
    Tovah
    Ivria

Boys

Zev
    Oren
    Ronen
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I love Aviva, Ayelet, Adara, Noam, Lev, and Zev! Ayelet and Noam are actually my favorite Hebrew names... there's just something about them. As for the "H"s, I'm not sure. The "H"s make them feel more authentic to me, for some reason, but Atara looks cleaner-cut than Atarah does. So I'm torn.

I absolutely love Livana, too, which is Hebrew, and I came across Eliava and Chava which are also Hebrew, I believe. I really like Shimon/Simon, too, but I've heard others (non-Jewish) who say Shimon has too much teasing potential... but I still really like it. I really love the idea of Boaz nn Bo, too, and I always loved the story of Boaz and Ruth.

My favorite Biblical/Hebrew name is Caleb... I've seen several spellings for the original Hebrew name, but I believe @miloowen's son's Hebrew name is Kalev, so I'm guessing she would know for sure? I think Kalev is really appealing, too.

A few other ideas (not sure if they're the traditional Hebrew names or more Anglicized in modern translations of the Bible--since I come from a Christian standpoint, I can't say for sure, sorry):

Efraim/Ephraim
    Dov (have you ever seen the TV show Rookie Blue? There's a hilarious Dov on the show, and on one of the first episodes, one of the girls is like, "Your name is Dove? Isn't that kind of wimpy for a copper?" And Dov's like, "It means "bear". It's a very, very manly Hebrew name!" That always stuck with me, haha, and I always liked it. Maybe because of the show, maybe not. I think it'd be a cool MN as a nod to your heritage, though!)
    Ezra
    Gavriel/Gabriel
    Idan
    Isaac/Yitzhak
    Yosef/Joseph
    Yonah
    Josiah
    Lior
    Ari/Ariel
    Noach/Noah
    Ori
    Raphael
    Raviv
    Reuben/Reuven
    Samuel/Shmuel
    Yaacov/Ya'akov/Yakov (I've seen it spelled several ways... but I've always had a huge crush on the Hebrew form of Jacob! I love it.)

girls:
    Adina
    Ariela/Ariella
    Dinah
    Dafna (I'm guessing this is a Hebrew form of Daphne? It's listed meaning was "laurel", just like Daphne's is. I found it on a website that listed it as a modern Hebrew name...)
    Elisheva
    Eliana
    Hannah
    Miriam
    Maya
    Noa
    Rachel
    Sarai
    Shoshana
    Tzipora (I think the more Anglicized Zipporah is pretty, too)

And there's the well-known Ziva, thanks to NCIS, too. I love her sister's name (Talia, nn Tali), and her half-brother's, Ari--much more than Ziva itself, which feels a bit overglorified to me. It is a nice name, though.

Good luck!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

I like Adah, too, which I think might be Hebrew? I couldn't say for sure, though.
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus