Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old, Roman, Greek names please

Hi, hubby and I seem to be going round and round in circles after a girls name for ages now. Boys name was picked in my first ten or so suggestions, but hubby just does not like any girls names, even ones I don't like, I have just read him lists of names and no, no, no, is all I hear.

There are a few that he seems to like, well he shrugs and says hmmm maybe but that's the extend of his likingness.

The only names I have suggested he kinda likes is,
    Cleo,
    And Esther

So I am after either more names in this same sort of style, or middle names I could put with these ( middle names would not have to be from the same genre). Esther was my favorite biblical story growing up, so it has meaning for me more then liking the sound, Cleo I like the sound of and meaning, 'Glory to the Father'.

Our last name is Whitefield and I am just at my wits end with the hubby, help me PLEASE! Or I am just going to distract him and fill out the birth certificate with out him.

HELP!!

When you say Roman or Greek names, what exactly are you asking for? Do you want names they would have ie Augustus, Nero, Alexandria, names stemming from words ie Acacia (thorn), Ajax (warrior), Carissa (beloved), or names from histories/myths ie Athena, Juno, Odysseus?

-linguaphile-
    Boys: Oliver, Felix, Jude, Balthasaru "Ru"
    Girls: Amélie "Millie", Indigo "Indie", Peridot, Jane

The kinds of names I think are similar to Esther and Cleo are from around the Great Depression - Marlena, Sylvia, Stella, Charlotte, Hazel, Opal, Coral, Willa, Nina, Flora, Marguerite... Old Roman and Greek names, however, are more like Lucretia, Antonia, Crisanta, Cassandra, Minerva, Athena, Cassia, Amarantha, and Xanthe.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Ottilie, Rosmira, Calluna, Faustine, Hildana, Selenia
    ... Alaric, Macsen, Jove, Hawthorn, Stellan, Rainier, Evander, Cillian, Casper

The Greek names that I know are Lois, Xanthi, Zoë, Niki, Thera, Iona, Phoebe, Elena, Drew, Lana, Lexie and Phaedra.

I like Phaedra! prn FAY-drah

For Roman namens I love the name Livia.

Esther is Persian, meaning "star" or "myrtle leaf". And Cleo is a diminutive form of Cleopatra in English, and Cleopatra is originally Greek, meaning "Her father's renown".

Esther is a beautiful name, and since it has special meaning to you, I'd go with that. Are you looking for other Biblical women's names, maybe? Mostly their names are Hebrew in origin, but some come from a base of Greek, Latin, Arabic, or Persian.

Also, if your husband is being completely unhelpful and only shooting down names you offer, get him to offer some of his own. Hand him a list of the top 100 or 200 or whatever names (or a baby name book) and ask him to highlight the ones he likes. Then you do the same, and see where you end up. If you're not too far along in your pregnancy, it might just be too early for him to really contemplate names. Women tend to realize the reality of a little human inside them much sooner than men do. My husband, for example, just shrugs and can't say anything except, "Um, I guess" when we talk about names. It hasn't really "clicked" with him that he's going to be a father in a few months. It "clicked" with me the day I saw the HPT turn positive. If he's really being unhelpful, let it rest for a while, then come back to it in a few weeks and see what he says. Often, our men need more time to process an impending baby before they can come to terms with the thought of naming it.

That being said, other Biblical names:

Rebekah
    Sarah/Sarai
    Abigail
    Dinah
    Anne
    Mary/Marie
    Eve
    Hannah
    Theresa
    Deborah
    Elizabeth
    Miriam
    Judith
    Magdalene/Magdalena
    Rachel
    Martha
    Susanna
    Naomi
    Ruth
    Leah
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip