Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.

Birth announcements in the UK

Hi, I notice a lot of Berries collect names from online announcements and hospital lists so I thought it would be fun to give it a go. Had to do a lot of sifting through the recurring names (will list those too though) but there are some really weird and cool ones. Some tryndeigh ones too. I used a website that lists announcements from all kinds of newspapers from different areas.

Raven (boy)
    [normalname]-Boo
    Pollyanna
    Synn (not sure if boy or girl)
    Ole
    Tiernan (boy)
    Boe and Beau (both girls)
    Ailie x2
    Taylor x3 (all boys)
    Skyla x2
    Sienta
    Eartha x2
    Jaycee
    Baxter
    Tegan, Teegan and Teigan (all girl)
    Orla
    Pixie
    Eivissa
    Rannoch
    Kyson
    Vinny and Vinnie (both boy)
    Taran (boy)
    Kenzie (boy!)
    Billie (girl)
    Neo
    Aliona
    Evangeline x3
    Ailsa x3
    Cailean
    Indy (boy)
    Safiya
    Albie x2
    Darcy x2, Darci and Darcey (all girls)
    Alasdair
    Romy (girl, twin to Rain)
    Lennon (boy)
    Matteo
    Tylon
    Alesha
    Beatrix x2
    Lavina
    Quinn x2 (1 boy, 1 girl)
    Casey, Kacy, Kacie and Kacey x3
    Hope
    Maximus
    Krystal, Christal and Crystal x2
    Avie
    Livvi
    Tavie (girl, I think it was short for something but I can't remember what)
    Raphael
    Emielia
    Perry (boy)
    Ellouise
    Florence x5
    Evanna
    Ruari x2, Rory x2 (all boy)
    Rhemmy and Remi (both girl)
    Caoibhe
    Broadi
    Lowenna
    Ebbonnee
    Arya
    Oakley
    Ember
    Frankie (girl)
    Flynn x2 (both boy)
    Milo x2
    Bleu (girl)
    Zofia
    Wynn (boy)
    Jorgie (girl)
    Eilidh
    Lois x5
    Dempsey x2
    Marley (boy)
    Zia
    Orran

------------------------------------------------

Recurring names, in no particular order:
    Mason
    Alfie
    Evelyn
    Tyler x10000000
    Theo x100000
    Millie
    Mollie
    Erin
    Grace
    Caden
    Phoebe x10000000000000000000
    Olivia
    Matilda
    Barnaby
    Jayden
    Mollie
    Ruby
    Macey / Macy
    Jessica
    Nevaeh
    Freya
    Isla
    Eva
    Evie
    Lily x9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999
    Lily
    Lily
    Lilly
    Lillie
    Lily-[see where I'm going with this?] Lol. Pretty name, but overused.
    Maisie
    Daisy
    Ellie
    [name]-Mae, -May, -Mai.

--------------------------------------

ALSO
    -I saw the combo Nevaeh Violet. While I'm not fond of Nevaeh at all, I actually think that is a nice combo.
    -One boy had the middle name Love.
    -Another boy had several exotic middle names (well, two, lol), all masculine names except one of his middles - Seraphina. I wonder if it had family significance or something, but still kind of odd.
    -Did I mention [normalname]-Boo? Probably influenced by Jamie Oliver's daughter Daisy Boo. ><
    Last edited by amberdaydream; April 8th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Raven (boy)

I think Raven is kind of cool for a boy but seems to be a girl name in the US (for some reason).

Taylor x3 (all boys)

Ranking 36 for girls in the US and 326 for boys while at 97 for boys in the UK this is another of those names, like Ashley and Brooklyn that seem to be unisex yet clearly favor the opposite gender on one side of the Atlantic vs the other.

Taran (boy)

Listed in the Nameberry database as a female name, I can't find too much on this and wonder where this name comes from.

Kenzie (boy!)

Another of those opposite sides of the Atlantic names, ranking 89 for boys in the UK and not ranking for girls, vs ranking 372 for girls in the US and not for boys.

Rory x2 (all boy)

Dr Who fans?

-Another boy had several exotic middle names (well, two, lol), all masculine names except one of his middles - Seraphina. I wonder if it had family significance or something, but still kind of odd.

Seraphin and Serafin seem to be male names (French and Polish respetively) but the a at the end clearly makes it seem more feminine. I wonder why they included the -a when the same spelling minus the a could have been used and still honor someone.
    Chelsea
    - Named after the place. A guy named Chelsea, who through his name became fascinated with names.

Current favorites
    Girls: Alexandra, Cambria, Catrin, Claire, Emma, Gemma, Louise, Kirsty, Sutton, Tess, Zoe

Boys: Bryn, Brit, Guy, Xavier

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    Raven (boy)

I think Raven is kind of cool for a boy but seems to be a girl name in the US (for some reason).
    I think it would be great on a boy, too. It's never been popular at all over here at all, so a male Raven won't be mistaken for a girl, nor would a female Raven be mistaken for a boy.

Taylor x3 (all boys)

Ranking 36 for girls in the US and 326 for boys while at 97 for boys in the UK this is another of those names, like Ashley and Brooklyn that seem to be unisex yet clearly favor the opposite gender on one side of the Atlantic vs the other.
    I know boys called Taylor in my school, but I know a female Tayla. I'm pretty certain there was a Tayla in the birth announcements but I didn't think it would strike anyone so I left it out. In a British accent you really can't tell the difference between Taylor and Tayla.

Taran (boy)

Listed in the Nameberry database as a female name, I can't find too much on this and wonder where this name comes from.
    I know a female Taryn but I think that is a separate name. I wrote it off as a modern invention when I saw it, but if it's in Nameberry then maybe not.

Rory x2 (all boy)

Dr Who fans?
    http://youritdep.com/sites/default/f...out-window.jpg

Lol... so I'm not the biggest Doctor Who fan. My youngest cousin made me watch it the other day. ><
    Really, I think it is influenced by Doctor Who, and also by Ireland, where it's exclusively male.

Seraphin and Serafin seem to be male names (French and Polish respetively) but the a at the end clearly makes it seem more feminine. I wonder why they included the -a when the same spelling minus the a could have been used and still honor someone.
    True; I'm putting this one down to modern phenomenon or whatever you call it. If you can give a girl the middle name James, I guess a boy is entitled to the second middle name Seraphina. They probably should have use Seraphin, Serafin or Seraphinus.

Something that does puzzle me about it is that Seraphina is not unheard of in the UK as a feminine name, not by a long shot - I have only met one Seraphina but I know people who have siblings and cousins and the like called Seraphina as well. I'm pretty sure his parents knowingly gave him a feminine second middle name.
    Last edited by amberdaydream; April 9th, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: so many typos ><
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

The actor who played the youngest son on "Home Improvement" was named Taran Noah Smith... I remembered the name when I saw this post. Don't know where the name comes from, but the actor would be in his late 20's, probably, by now.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Something that does puzzle me about it is that Seraphina is not unheard of in the UK as a feminine name, not by a long shot - I have only met one Seraphina but I know people who have siblings and cousins and the like called Seraphina as well. I'm pretty sure his parents knowingly gave him a feminine second middle name.
    Yeah this one has me head scratching a bit too. I figured it was "known" in the UK as a girl's name even if not that commonly used. It's also quite "frilly" to my ears anyway. And then to add it as a second middle name which is unusual too. I imagine there is a story behind this which would be interesting to know.
    Chelsea
    - Named after the place. A guy named Chelsea, who through his name became fascinated with names.

Current favorites
    Girls: Alexandra, Cambria, Catrin, Claire, Emma, Gemma, Louise, Kirsty, Sutton, Tess, Zoe

Boys: Bryn, Brit, Guy, Xavier