Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Other Easter Names

Because of the blog today about Easter names, I decided to start this thread. The blog focused entirely on the Christian things associated with Easter but Easter began as a Pagan holiday relating to the Goddess Eostre so there are names associated with the origins of this holiday too. I thought that it would be nice to get the opinions and thoughts on this holiday from some one who isn't Christian out there.

Pascha -- Latin -- "passover"
    Anastasis -- Greek -- "upstanding"
    Eostre was the dawn goddess of fertility and there are a lot of variations to her name that would make lovely names:

Ostare - OH-star-ray
    Ostara
    Eostra -- eh-oh-trah
    Ausos -- ow-sos

Eastre -- an ancient word for Spring, ay-stray

Some other godessess celebrated in the Spring:

Aphrodite -- aph-roh-dite-ee -- Greek Goddess of love and beauty -- also called Cytherea and Cypris
    Astarte -- as-star-tee -- deified evening star
    Demeter -- deh-mee-ter -- Goddess of the Harvest and presided over the fertility of the earth
    Persephone -- per-seph-oh-nee -- Goddess of Spring Growth, she rises from the underworld during the Spring and Summer months to be with her mother, which causes the flowers to grow and the earth to have springtime.
    Hathor -- Egyptian goddess of love, beauty, music, motherhood, and joy
    Ishtar -- Babylonian Goddess of fertility, war, love
    Cybele -- the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a consort, Attis, who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. Attis was believed to have died and been resurrected 3 days later each year during this period. (these myths came about centuries before Jesus would have been born) Cybele and Attis are both lovely names.
    Asherah -- Semitic mother Goddess -- lovely way to get to Ash or Asha

Alba is a word also associated with the Easter holiday, and it means Sunrise.

There are 2 origin stories for the name of the day Sunday.

1) It is derived from the name of the Scandinavian sun Goddess Sunna/Sonne which would make a cute name.
    2) It is derived from "Sol," the Roman God of the Sun." Their phrase "Dies Solis" means "day of the Sun." Sol (pronounced Soul) is a great boys name.

So there's my take on it. I hope no one gets offended by this, as I know most of you are probably Christian, but this is my holiday too, so I wanted to get my say and my names out there in case any one was interested. ^_^
    Last edited by dantea; April 6th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I definitely appreciate a different perspective. I'm Jewish myself... there are some great Passover-inspired names such as Aviva and Pesah.

I think you should do an Easter name thread yourself then with all the lovely Jewish words and names associated with Easter. Maybe I'll collect them all and put all of these on my blog. ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Thank you for starting this thread - I am sure there are tons of Christians on here too, but not all of us are and I love this selection of names you've included here. Alba is a favorite of mine and whenever I see the word Easter anywhere, I immediately think of Astarte. Also, just to speak to the previous poster - Aviva is a serious favorite of mine as well.

Thanks! I loooove Cybele.
    I also want to mention Ceres and Cerelia.
    Ceres was the goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relationships. The Romans saw her as the counterpart of the Greek goddess Demeter. It's where the world cereal came from. I guess it really isn't Easter related, but since you mention Demeter...
    Cerelia is a Roman Harvest Festival honoring Ceres and it means "relating to Springtime"