Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Irelyn?

I kind of like it!
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I actually like it. I've never quite understood the snobbery around made up names (weren't all names made up by someone at some point?) as long as they sound good, can actually be prounounced as written, and won't horribly embarrass the child who has to live with it. (Caveat: I'm not talking "unique" spellings of totally common names here, that's just silly.) I actually think Irelyn and Ireland have very different sounds - the d / lack of d totally changes it for me. I'd consider it very usable (more so than some 'legitimate' names out there!) I suspect it's one of those names that many name nerds will hate, but the general population will really like!

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieberry View Post
    A LOT of intelligent, educated, adult people spell their names using Y instead of I or another vowel. Layla, Laila; Phyllis, Phillis; Gladys, Gladis; Katheryn, Katherine; Myrtle, Mertle; Carolyn, Caroline; Adalyn, Adaline; Alys, Alice; Madelyn, Madeline.
    Actually Alys (and Alis) is a Welsh variant of Alice, and I guess I should point out those names aren't all places. I will also point out that those names have all been around much longer as given names than Ireland or Irelyn. So I don't really know about that comparison. Of course, nobody's saying that an Irelyn can't be intelligent, because more or less anyone can be intelligent.

Incidentally, the Y in Irelyn there doesn't bother me at all. I think people find this name tacky because it's an alteration of a place name, and a smoosh which is kind of a Nameberry sin.

The 'Lyn' doesn't outright bother me, but while I think a name is safe enough if it originally started with a Lyn sound, such as Evalyn, Adelyn/Adeline, Avelyn/Aveline, Gwendolyn, Caitlyn/Caitlyn or even Lyn itself, but when people start making it a suffix and turning it into names like Braelyn, Britlyn, Scotlyn and Jaelynn, it feels like a trend that will date and go stale quickly.

I don't think it makes a difference to the name whether you're Irish or not. If I met a Britlyn, I would recognise it as an invented name but I wouldn't make an instant connection to Britain. I probably would if they were called Englyn, though, lol.

What (still, LOL) bothers me about Irelyn that it has a really furious sound, I can't look at the name without splitting into Ire and Lyn. I haven't heard the word Irie before and I don't know how many people will have, and I think "Ire" is a lot closer to the word ire than the word irie. I think Irene, Irina, Ireland and Iris are all so much prettier.

It's two syllables but feels kind of long so it could work as a middle name.

If it's an Irish heritage you're looking to honour, I think a Gaelic name would be really cool. Or how about just Ireland?
    Last edited by amberdaydream; April 5th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Amber. 17. Happy Hallowe'en.
    Roxana \ Marilyn ≶ Ксения \ Милана \ Алёна \ Арина \ Злата
    Даниил / Роман / Артемий ≶ Victor / Myron / Sylvan / Vincent / Lucien

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Irelyn is really not my style. Sounds like a combo of the word 'ire' and 'Lyn', so it feels like a seriously angry name to me. Kind of like naming your child Furylyn, Angrylyn or Ragelyn! Lol.
    This. LOL
    My March arrival:
    Dulcinea Tesla
    We call her Daisy
    in honor of my mom.

@babeinthewoods- no, names were not all "made up by someone at some point." They evolved gradually over many hundreds of years. Julia, for example, is from the Roman Julius, which is either from the Roman god Jupiter (which itself is from older words) or from a family name derived from a Greek word. Julia's history can be traced back thousands of years and probably extends further than that. No one ever just sat down and said, "I'm going to invent the name Julia." I think that history is important. Plato even wrote about the same concept in his work "Cratylus."

But as for Irelyn, I think it's tacky. I think it would get laughed at in Ireland and even in the United States- America Ferrara has talked about her challenging name in the past, and America was a given name before it was a place! I don't generally have such bad reactions to names, and I don't mean to offend you, but I honestly hate Ireland as a name and Irelyn makes it seem even cheaper. It is no different from Texys, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of most place names in general (there are some exceptions, mostly names like Georgia which were names first) but these are particularly cringe-worthy to me. I think today's Brooklyns are tomorrow's Tyffanis. It's not a sophisticated name. That's not to say that people who are named Irelyn or choose the name Irelyn are unsophisticated, just that the image the name projects is not one of class and sophistication, at least not to me. I think Erin is a wonderful and subtle alternative, and Iris is a nice sound-alike. Again, I don't mean to offend you, I just wanted to share my opinion.