Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Turned off by Popularity?

We are ttc our final baby, and have had our favourite girl name chosen since before our previous baby (but we had a boy that time ). It was ranked # one hundred fifty something in 2010, but then I just checked the popularity list for my own state, and it is WAY higher up the list. While I still love the name, suddenly I am a bit put off. I am a big fan of unique-but-not-too-out-there names. Two of my kids' names flew up the popularity lists shortly after they were born, and I'm bugged by that too. I don't want them to be one of several everywhere they go. Is over-popularity reason enough to move on to the other not-as-loved names on my list? Or maybe I should just move out of this state... lol.

I was in love with Emma for years and years and years. But it really bothers me, that it is sooo popular. I know that even if I would love a name I'd be so annoyed if my child would be "Emma S." in school. So I would always go with a different name. I don't feel comfortable with names in the Top 100.

Out of curiosity, what is the name?

I don't think you should worry about popularity so much. Go with what you love is probably the best advice. If you are going for names that are shooting in popularity, but aren't right up there at the top (i.e Jack, Ethan, Emma, Olivia) then I still think you'll be okay because you said you like unique names. If you love it, who cares if theres another kid in the class with that name. It's he Olivia's and Adien's who will be in a class with 3 or 4 others.

That would turn me off a name very fast. I am nowhere near having a kid, so currently I don't let it bother me too much because you never know by the time I'm ready, but if you are planning on using it fairly soon I'd steer away. If you are really really really in absolute head-over-heels love with this name I might still go with it, but I'd be weary. Best of luck!

-linguaphile-
    Boys: Oliver, Felix, Jude, Balthasaru "Ru"
    Girls: Amélie "Millie", Indigo "Indie", Peridot, Jane

My daughter's name is Piper, which I believe was 144 in popularity in 2010. That's too popular for me, but my husband loved the name. Where we live, it was around 70 in popularity, which makes the matter even worse. BUT... my husband loved it. Plus, 70 something here means there were only 47 girls born with that name in 2012. In the whole state, that's not terrible. While most people know of a Piper, we have personally never met one.

I say if you love the name, that's what matters.