Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nicknames for Matthew

My best friend's son's named Matthew, named after his father. He's getting to the age where people are starting to shorten his name, and she'd really prefer that he not go by Matt since his father does and it could get confusing. So, are there any other nicknames for the name Matthew?
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend... 6/9/07

Margot Helen
    Ingrid Naomi
    Zelda Irene

Gwyneth*Thea*Portia*Rosalind*Thalia

Ephraim Charles
    Linus Arthur
    Cedric Jame

Conrad*Leander*Cormac*Leopold*Casimir*Augustin*Sil as*Dexter*Alasdair

Hmm, maybe the "thew" could morph into Hugh? Or Theo? Otherwise I'd suggest a nickname that doesn't have to do with his name, like Ace or Blue (if his eyes are blue, etc). Or could they/you pull something from his middle instead?

Possible ideas:
    Mateo / Teo
    Mato / Matto
    Mao / Meo
    Huey (from the Hew part) --> Dewey?

Maybe an unrelated nickname would work better? Or from the middle name?
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

Would Math be too close to Matt? I think it's really sweet. Otherwise Hew prn Hugh could work, and I second the ideas of Hewy/Hewey/Huey, Teo or Theo.

Good luck!
    W h a t ' s . . .

Matilda | Adelaide | Hermione | Aurelia | Tallulah
    Edmund | Wilfred | Asa | Felix | Leander

. . . n e x t ?

My older brother's name is Matthew, and I've called him Thew for years, because everyone else uses the nn Matt! I usually call him by his full name (which I love as a boys name), but I do often call him Thew or Thew-Thew (an older nn I gave him YEARS ago). I also agree with the pp, you could go with Hew (Hugh) as well, I think that's nice! My brother has never been called Matty by anyone as far as I know, but I do think it's a very cute nn for Matthew.
    Best,
    Leslie
    In current favor of...:
    Boys: Ian, John, Lincoln
    Girls: Marin, Lena, Mareina