Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naming Dilemma

Naming Dilemma

What do you do when someone you know personally has the name you want for your child?

I'm named after my living aunt, and my parents decided to call me by my middle name, which has caused all sorts of hassles throughout my life. Thus, I've resolved never to name a child after a living relative.

I've even taken it a step further and decided that I will not use a name that anyone I know personally has, including acquaintances. (If they're people I never come in contact with, that's a different story.)

DH and I are trying to name our second child. We decided on the name Josephine (Josie) and then realized that our neighbor across the street has a five-year-old daughter with the same name and nickname. After running into them recently, I noticed that this little girl is exactly what I expect a Josephine/Josie to look like, so much so that I can't picture my own child with the name anymore. I now associate the name with that child.

Have you ever had this problem? If so, how have you handled it?

I think it's fine to have 2 neighbors across the street with the same name, the girls will probably love being 'twins', but if it doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. Here are some ideas that might work for you:

Jolene, Jolie, Johanna, Susannah (Susie), Florence (Florrie, Flora, Flossie), Josephine (with nn Posey or Effie to set her apart?), Wilhelmina (Willa, Mina, Minnie), Philamina (Pippa, Mina, Minnie), Eleanor (Elle, Ella, Nora), Penelope (Nell, Pennie, Nellie), Estella, Lydia, Vivian, Viola?

I've had to juggles name endlessly to avoid conflicts like this. And for the same reasons (not the neighbor one).

Like your family, my family also had the tradition of naming their children after living relatives (then dead ones),
    I was the first kid of my generation to get pregnant and I promptly broke the tradition by creating a new one.
    I decided that I would select a name from one of our heritages. I didn't want to name my son Patsy after my
    grandfather so I picked my grandmother's Irish heritage and went with Aidan. When I had a daughter I went
    with his Italian heritage and picked a Latin name.

It's a hard call with Josephine, but if I were in your very same position I would scrap it and find a new name. As
    you said, you already associate that name with this other girl now and not for your child. For me Audrey, Sophia,
    and Gemma were all scrapped because of conflicts with other people. A friend was naming her daughter Aubrey, my
    cousin is using Zophia for her hypothetical first born daughter,and will not if i use any variation thereof, and Gemma
    is out because my brother has his heartset on Emma for his first born girl (his hypothetical first born girl). And in the
    end I came up with new names that I fell even more in love with than my first choice!

It's an adventure! Good luck!
    Not so done having children after all. We're not ready for TTC quite yet but when we do get pregnant,the husband handed sole naming rights over to his name obsessed wife!

If it's a boy: Tristan Ambrose Galahad
    If it's a girl: Genevieve Claire or Josephine Adele

Personally, I think its a bit silly to avoid using a name over acquaintences. It's not that much of a hassle at all. Especially when it's just neighbours.
    I'd use the name.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

I'm named after my great-great-great-great-grandmother. My name is SUPER antique and I've never met anyone else with my name. Therefore, that's never been a problem. But I think two girls with the same name will adore it, but the parents might think you're copying them. But I say go for it!