Names Searched Right Now:

cross-cultural names

Hi all,

Newbie here. I need some unique ideas for baby names. My child's surname will include both my maiden (super Spanish) and our last (German surname)... It's an interesting combo but it will be done.

I love girls names that end with -a and are short. Some examples: Lola, Luna, etc. I think those names are too common. I like romantic names, I love nature, literary figures, etc. I also like names that end in -er, like Winter, Ember, etc.

For boys, I like more formal names, like Elliott, Lucas but want some flair.

I've been looking on the threads, but would appreciate some starting brainstorm suggestions!
    Last edited by havonaascent; August 9th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Hey there!

If the baby's surname is going to be a bit long and potentially complicated, I think a short and sturdy name up front would end up working out best! Here are some suggestions that I think fit with your style:

Girls-
    Isla
    Benna
    Gia
    Rio (or Ria)
    Oona/Oonagh/Una
    Thea
    Orla
    Keya
    Stella
    Arya
    Baya
    Elka
    Gaia
    Vesper
    Pippa
    Petra
    Greer

Boys-
    Julius
    Sebastian
    Everett
    Beckett
    Frederick
    Reed
    Eli
    Owen
    Henry
    Hugo
    Leo
    Theo
    Thomas
    Hayes
    Augustus/August
    Silas

Personally, I think that Oona, Thea, Stella, and Petra are stunning, romantic, lovely, and wonderfully short! I also think they are slightly off the beaten path and wouldn't be as common as Luna or Lola. However, I also find Winter and Ember absolutely darling.

For the boys, I think Eli is a classic, handsome choice that would sound fabulous with a longer name. I also love Silas, Hayes, and Reed.

Best of luck,
    David
    Milo James (MJ) - 2004, Cadence Rae - 2008, Tessa Madeline - 2011

David, Zach, Milo, Rae, & Tessa

Wow these are great suggestions. It is giving me a lot to ponder. THanks