Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

After Labor Questions? Recommended baby books? :)

Alright! I've been trying to google different websites that talk about the time after giving birth / your babies first few weeks of being home. I haven't had time to go to my doctor and confirm pregnancy, trying to find time around my busy schedule but the home test said positive... so I am relying on that for now! Which is beside the question..

I've got lots of pregnancy questions, all of which I've seemed to be able to answer with some online searching. However, articles on that first week home don't seem to be very easy to find I'm thinking of stopping off at the bookstore after work one day and picking up some baby books. Which, by the way, I'd LOVE some suggestions on your favorite books that you found most useful during your pregnancies! But, I would really like some information on whats going on after you've already given birth. Especially whats going on with your own body!

I know this is still a ways off before giving birth and everything. But I guess I've been getting a bit anxious at thinking about it! I am excited for watching me and my baby grow during pregnancy, and the preparations. And I'll be excited to meet my baby, and be a mother. The idea of giving birth scares me a little. But what scares me most is that first week after birth and what will be happening to MY body!! I don't know very much about it, besides some ladies who've been kind enough to tell me about ripping during birth, hurting to sit down, and not to be crude, but the first time they pooed being a horrible experience! <3 And then engorgement worries me a bit.. but the more I read about it, the less it frightens me. So I'm feeling like if I could hear from all you ladies who've already gone through this and tell me all about it? Feel free to write me to my profile! I haven't found if there's a personal message thing on the boards yet, but if there is, message me! And also, are there any books or websites you'd recommend?

Sorry this post is so long and thank you in advance for all replies!! <3

I had a c-section so I can't really answer your post-birth questions accurately, but I do have to say that a book I loved during my first pregnancy was "What to Expect the First Year." With my first, having never had any experience with any baby, I was more concerned about what to do with the kid once I had it home more than anything I had a different pregnancy book, which I believe is called "Your Pregnancy & You" or something similar, which I am re-reading for Baby #2

I'll definitely look into "What to Expect the First Year"! I think I recall hearing about that book, actually! I am slightly concerned with what I'll be doing with it once I bring it home... but I have babysat babies and all. Just never a newborn... <3

And I'll look up "Your Pregnancy & You"

Thanks very much!!

The Dr. Sears books are good for babies. For the first week (and many more), just count on nursing your baby around the clock and changing lots of diapers. As far as your recovery goes, the worst thing for me was always the bleeding. Sorry if this is a little gross, but no one ever talks about it. It might be nice having a break from your period for 9 months, but the postpartum bleeding makes up for it. It can last for up to 12 weeks. With my first, I think it lasted about 6 weeks. With my second, around 3-4, and about 3 weeks with my 3rd. Yuck. I also sweat a lot (especially at night) during the first postpartum week. It is unpleasant, but it helps get rid of all the water weight you gain while pregnant. I was lucky enough not to tear so I really wasn't that sore and didn't have any problems sitting down or anything like that. Also, with nursing, I wasn't prepared for how messy it would be the first few weeks. Milk comes out of both breasts and can spray pretty far. I would hold a cloth diaper over the side I wasn't feeding on and it would be soaked through by the time I was done. I also slept on a towel at night to absorb any leakage so I wouldn't have to change the sheets. Hopefully this isn't TMI, but its the yucky stuff that no one ever talks about. Good luck!

Oh, okay! I'll definitely look up Dr. Sears books as well!! <3

Mmm, alright! Lots of nursing and diaper changes don't sound too bad <3 Well, I guess when I'm all tired out from labor and exhausted from lack of sleep I may start saying differently

No one ever does talk about half the happenings of the mothers recovery! But oh dear.. I was reading a checklist of things to bring home from the hospital and giant very absorbent pads were on there.. and I assumed releasing amniotic fluids and all would eventually come.. but that sounds like one long period!!! 12 weeks is a lot!!!! Thats good to know though.. I had no idea it could last that long!! And ohh, so there will be lots of washing of sheets? Is it common to tear down there during pregnancy? Or does it just happen to a few and those few broadcast it more? But oh dear! I knew milk leaked and all... but it like, sprays?! I'll make sure I'm prepared for that as well! I'm taking notes!!! And I'll keep note of that to... sleep on a towel

Thank you SO much!!! It all is gross, but its going to happen. And honestly, I really appreciate you telling me about it! It makes everything seem a little less scary when you at least know whats going to happen, so you can feel more prepared <3 thanks!!!