Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Borrowing Names From Different Cultures? And Needing More Quirkiness!

Firstly, what are your thoughts on using names from cultures to which you have no ties? I adore the name Priya, but have no Indian heritage. Would it be considered bad taste? Slightly odd?

Secondly, I've realized what is missing from the top names DH and I agree on, Elizabeth, Lily, and Madeline. A dash of quirkiness is in desperate need! I feel like my daughter's name, Annabel, has a good balance of quirky and sweet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ETA: Just wanted to clarify that suggestions don't have to be based on those three names. Thanks!
    Last edited by krismichelle; March 9th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Mama to Caleb Nicholas, Annabel Hope, and Grace Ramona
    <>

I think it depends on the name--I would be surprised to meet a caucasian Priya, but a blond-haired Liliana? Not really. Giovanna might be a bit unusual, but other Italian names, like Lucia or Arianna, are fine... I don't know what really defines it, haha. I think that if you love it, you should use it, though--I'm not Italian at all (and I'm barely French) but I would definitely use names like Isabelle, Aurelie, Giovanna, Liliana, etc... I'm not sure what to suggest as more quirky alternatives to Elizabeth, Lily, and Madeline--maybe something like Eliza, Lilibet, Lila/Lilia/Liliana, Madeleine, or Matilda?

Good luck!

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    I've always wondered the same thing. Priya is lovely, by the way.

I think it's OK if the name is pronounceable in English, or if it's been popularised by a celebrity, which Priya is and has.

Quirky names like Elizabeth:
    Elisabeth
    Elizabetta/Elisabetta
    Élisabeth
    Lieselotte/Liselotte
    Elisabet
    Lilibeth/Lilybeth (also counts for Lily)
    Lilias/Lillias/Lileas (also for Lily)
    Lisbeth/Lizbeth
    Lisette/Lizette
    Elisa
    Eliza
    Liza

Quirky names like Lily:
    Lillian
    Liliane
    Liliana
    Lilith
    Lilla
    Liliya/Lilia
    Lilac
    Lisanne (also for Elizabeth)

Quirky names like Madeline:
    Magda
    Magdalene
    Magdalena
    Maddalena
    Madelina
    Madelaine
    Madara

(a lot of the names above are from different languages.)

Annabel is cute, too. Also there is:
    Amabel
    Arabella
    Arabelle (sounds like "arable" to me, but anyway)
    Sabella

Thanks so much for your response! I haven't brought Priya up to DH, and, seeing how he thought Isabella was too Italian for us, I'll be very surprised if he goes for it.

Suggestions don't have to be based on those three names. I love Eliza, but my best friend's son is Elijah. We see them quite a bit, so it would be confusing. Matilda is fantastic, too, but DH has already vetoed it.
    Mama to Caleb Nicholas, Annabel Hope, and Grace Ramona
    <>

1) A non-Indian child named Priya will often be asked about her name, and might feel awkward telling people that her parents just liked its sound. Much better if there's a story to go with it - a honeymoon in India, a friend named Priya, etc.

2) Annabel and Lilibet would be a great sibling set.