Names Searched Right Now:
Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
    I met a teenage girl camping once whose name was Sassafras, NN Sassy. When I asked her about it she kind of rolled her eyes and said her parents were hippies and all her siblings had weird names too. She had three younger siblings and one on the way: Satchel (b), Zephyr (b), and I think her little sister was Soleil. And the baby on the way was going to be Zion if a boy, I don't remember the girls' name they had picked out. I was like "Wow, how cool!", which it kind of was, but at the same time I would hate being named any of those names.

I also met little girls at work, sisters, named Amythest (yes, spelled like that, mom "liked it better that way") and Patience. Brothers Tucker and Tyde, and another set of brothers named Sterling, Slade, and Stone. I met a pregnant woman named January who wanted to name her baby Sunday if it was a girl which is actually kind of cute... maybe too cute? A little girl named Fern Violet. Several Ryan(n)'s who were girls, etc. Most recently a little girl about three, adorable, named Anjett. She wrote her name for me and I said "Oh, is your name Angela?" and mom got all offended and said "NO, it's Anjett (pron. AHN-jet)." That was one of my "That's so interesting! Where did you come up with it?" moments.

And, last ones I promise: Cuilynne, pronounced QUEE-lin (reminds me of a slang word for some uncomfortable bodily noises) and Zeiarrayyiah, pronounced Ser-EYE-uh. The spelling alone made my eyes bleed.
    contemplating combos:
    August David Dodge · August Henry Dodge · Barnaby Viggo Paul · Barnaby Atlas Paul
    Leona Vesper Lynn · Vivian Lillie Revere · Florence Patricia Mae · Zelda Katherine Rose

January and daughter Sunday! That actually is kinda cute. Anjett... Wow. But the last two are the best! When I saw Cuilynne I thought it was a kreativ spelling for Cullen (as in Edward) but when I read the pronunciation I almost choked on my breakfast. And Zeiarrayyiah .. Wow.

I met a girl named Ryanne pronounced Ryan. At least they tried to girlify it and it worked for her. I met her in college, but I can only imagine what it must have been like in Elementary school in our generation when there were like 2 Ryans in every class.
    Baby Hernández is due Nov. 22!!

FN Princess, MN Di. And that's what she's called: Princess Di McLastName.

Madison Kennedy N.....
    Too cutesy trendy for me.
    Auntie to Connor Douglas (June 2012) & Parker Isabella (Oct 2013)

~*Ariadne*Celeste*Esmé*Deirdre*Linnéa*~
    ~*Cian*Everett*Julian*Soren*Theodore*~

My full list here. Please comment and I'll comment on yours
    I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

(Not currently expecting or TTC)

While I do admit that there are some pretty bad names here, one thing that troubles me with these kinds of threads is the judgemental aspect of them. In my experience children are very open minded and non-judgmental when it comes to names, until they learn otherwise, and they learn to be more judgmental from adults of all people, their parents, their teachers, and other adults around them such as parents of friends etc. These judgements can then lead to more teasing and it becomes a viscious circle where adults say they don't condone teasing but in fact were often the igniter.

We all have opinions but I do think we need to think about how we express them.