Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink Eccentric English Names/Novels

I've got a list of novels I've read recently that have a theme about them; they all involve crumbling mansions in Britain and somewhat eccentric characters. Some of the names are too classic/boring for my taste, so I was wondering if you berries could perhaps dream up other appellations that would fit either the novel or just that type of story! I've bolded my favorites.

(Only need girl names)

Novel-Characters

Atonement-Briony, Cecilia, Emily, Hermione, Pierrot, Lola, Arabella
    The Stranger's Child- Cecil, Corinne, Daphne, Paul
    Jane Eyre-Jane, Adele, Mary, Diana, Blanche, Fairfax Rochester (swoon!)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle- Mary Katherine (Mericat), Constance, Julian
    Northanger Abbey- Catherine, Isabella, James, (all too classic, but fit the time)
    Brideshead Revisisted-Julia, Cordelia , Sebastian, Charles
    I Capture the Castle- Topaz, Cassandra (except for the nn Cassie), Rose , Leda, Simon, James, Aubrey (on a boy!)
    The Turn of the Screw- Miles, Flora

Her Fearful Symmetry- This takes place in modern day London, and there is a flat, not a house. There are two sets of twins, Elspeth and Edwina (Edie), and Julia and Valentina.

So the style is all over the place, but the feel is eccentric English, the kind of names that would not be surprising if they appeared in novels of this ilk.
    Last edited by erose; March 5th, 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: bolded my favorites

This post reminded me of the (British uppercrust) sibset in Margaret Drabble's Jerusalem the Golden: Clelia, Amelia, Magnus, Gabriel and Annunciata

Pride and Prejudice- Georgiana (Darcy) and Lydia are the one's I liked best
    Wuthering Heights- Heathcliff,Catherine, Edgar, Ellen 'Nelly', Hareton
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall- Helen, Arthur, Annabella, Gilbert, Fergus, Walter, Esther, Eliza, Millicent
    Emma- There's an Augusta in this!
    Sense and Sensibility- Elinor and Marianne obviously, and a Fanny (though I wouldn't recommend this!)

Thanks! Georgiana and Clelia are interesting, and although I'm only looking for girl names, Heathcliff is the perfect name for the type of hero he was!

Tess of the D'Urbervilles- Tess (I always thought that was interesting for the time period because I would have assumed for her name to be theresa not just Tess), Marian, Izz, and Retty are interesting names for the time period, Eliza Louisa (Liza-lu) which I think is very cute, and then Mercy.
    David Copperfield- Agnes, Clara, em'ly (which I think is very interesting for its time period because of the '), Betsey, Dora, Rosa, and annie.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett