Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Made up names

Quote Originally Posted by destry View Post
    All names were made up at some point. Some pretty recently like Vanessa. So I think they are fine.
    I agree with this. And I think being judgmental about it can backfire badly. Too many times I have seen people assume that a name is made up and yoooniq but, in fact, the name is from another language, another ethnic group, NOT made up, and possibly centuries old. Or it's a family name, or an amalgam of the parents' name, or it honors a dead loved one with a special meaning.

So be careful! If you are like: "ewww that name is SO made-up" - you might be told, rightly & factually, you are an ignorant person about history & languages, or a racist, or you've insulted a family honor name. Just sayin'.

Today, I had to tell somebody that the creative spelling of a name was German, the root of the current name, and pre-dates the "classic" name she believes is better.
    Last edited by privacyplease; July 29th, 2014 at 05:06 AM.
    * My name is Adelaide Skye. I love to play with names.*
    Saffron Jane Calliope - Noa Calliope Rose - Charlotte Mazarine Eden - Noa Frances Mazarine - Saffron Mazarine Rose - Mazarine Frances Noa - Rhiannon Leigh Noelle - Rowan Sophia Mazarine - Oswell Constantine - Irving Balthasar - Balthazar Lucas - Israfel Ronin - Walter Zephram - Paul Constantine - Malcolm Ephraim

I have a friend who couldn't decide between Nicole or Dakoda/Dakota for her daughter... and ended up going with Nicoda. NMS but I don't think its too bad. I guess it's more of a smoosh name than strictly made up.
    Azula "Zu" Rosemary
    July 2012
    Indira "Indie" Coral
    January 2014

Planning ahead for our next additions

I guess you could consider most of my children's names "made up". Zabryn came from a dream. my daughters' middle names are a mash of my grandmothers' names and Revvie was created by switching letters to Remy. People often confuse unique with underused.
    Momma to Daytona Joette (6), Revvie Adessie (3) and Zabryn Amare (2)

I know quite a few;

Bryden
    Serissa
    Maryline
    Irelynd
    Sha'uri
    Drummer
    Payslynn
    Ladies: Florence•Amelia•Daisy•Martha•Millie•Scar lett•Sophia•Poppy•Freya•Amelie•Maisie• Olivia•Charlotte•Imogen•Harriet
    Evie•Lillian•Isabelle•Ella•Louisa•Eleano r•Violet•Lucy•Annabelle•Phoebe•Elsie•M innie•Matilda•Grace•Evelyn•Pixie

Gentlemen: Albert•Matthew•Henry•Louis•William•Harry •Teddy•James•Charlie•Christopher• Ernest•Andrew•Adam•Thomas•Alfie
    Edward•Archie•Daniel•Harrison•George•Sta nley•Joel•Rafferty•Michael•Samuel•Winsto n•Freddie•Darcy

Most of these are either straight from books, or altered made up names from books. Some I just made up. I really love a lot of these.
    Anidora
    Lothira
    Elendra
    Endrana
    Saren
    Monaecia/Monacia (I'm still convinced this must be a place name or something)
    Xinnaea (Like Linnaea/Linnea with an X)
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •