Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Ugly" Names

"Ugly" Names

Yesterday, I saw the film The Help, and in it, there is a character named Eugenia. Perhaps I am swayed by the fact that the name is attached to Emma Stone's lovely face, but I found myself really liking the prospect. Eugenia is colorful and quite pretty in its supposed "ugliness." Or am I crazy? And then I found myself thinking of other "ugly" names that I like, such as:

Eulalia
    Myrtle
    Harriet
    Winifred
    Maxine
    Roberta
    Demelza
    Agnes
    Mabel
    Beatrice
    Eudora

What are some names that you like that are widely considered ugly, even on Nameberry?

I think Hazel is pretty but a lot of people I know hate it. They say it is too old-lady but it makes me think of the color hazel, which I think is very pretty.

Beulah! I think it's beautiful, but I am in the minority.

I love "vintage" names but Beulah, Bertha, Beryl, Gladys and Mildred are some names I'm not fond of because of the way they sound.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think Ursula, Ursuline, Edith, Agnes and Roberta are really pretty! I also like Gordon, Edgar, Grover, Howard, Walter, and Wilbur for boys and those are still pretty much unheard these days.
    ...Mommy of 2 handsome boys, James Hamilton (4yrs) and Silas Augustine (2.5yrs). New addition 10/14!
    Girls- Blythe, Adeline, Freya, Sabina, Lydia, Vesper
    Boys- Isaac, Archer, Henry, Barnabas, Caleb, Gideon
    www.savingsons.org
    www.drmomma.org
    www.birthwithoutfearblog.com