Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Eira?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • EYE-ruh

33 56.90%
  • AY-ruh

19 32.76%
  • Other

6 10.34%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post Which pronunciation do you prefer of...

Eira. I'm just not sure if I prefer it said eye-rah (would that be mistaken for the male name Ira?) or ay-rah, which are equally legitimate pronunciations. In my head I use both interchangeably depending on which middle name I've put it with.

So which is your favourite? Did you automatically say it one way or another, or a different way altogether? Any feedback would be great.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

EYE-ra isn't a legitimate pronunication. Sure you can say it that way if u like, but it's incorrect. Eira is the Welsh word for snow and to me it would be like me using Snow as a name but saying I want to pronounce it like SNA-w. I mean, I can if I want, but it's not legitimate lol

Sorry, I probably butcher names from other languages regularly without meaning too so I mean no offence, but I speak Welsh and can assure you, the only way to pronounce Eira correctly is AY-ra. I think it's lovely.

I also like Aneira, Eirian and Eiriana.

Good luck
    28 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Quentin, Lilac, Otto, Mirabelle, Emrys, Thea, Xavier, Angelica, Harlan, Phoebe, Byron, Tabitha, Lennox

Actually, Eira is also shown to be derived from the Irish word 'Eire' so therefore is also pronounced EYE-rah, like Eire. Another origin of Eira is also from Eir, the Norse Goddess.

Of course the most common and most well known pn is AY-rah because of the Welsh word for snow, however it isn't it's only origin or pronunciation.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

i also live in Wales and i have heard people pronounce it both ways

Girls: Aurora, Romy, Leonie, Neela, Ephia, Isabeau
    Boys: Theon, Hugo, Xavier, Milo, Micah

Mam to Miley (3)

I default to EYE-ra, but I like AY-ra too.