Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool sibling for Sawyer

We are expecting our baby boy this June. Our 2 year old daughter, Sawyer, is a fierce red headed vocal bundle of fun. She fits her name perfectly. Sawyer means woodworker. Sawyer is not feminine and is most often thought of as a surname or a first name for a boy. We felt it was androgonous and was our first pick. With that said, Sawyer is the notch in our tree of life and a tomboy to boot. We live in a resort mountain town and are a very outdoorsy family who bikes all year round. Upon finding out we were having a boy, we just haven't felt that gut feeling for a name yet. Our list for boy has been widdled down, after many of my pregnant and hormonal choices facing reality to the following:
    Cavanaugh, Carver, Wylie, Ryder, Gunnar and Quinn.

Our last name is two syllables and is Norwegian. Thanks for your comments & suggestions

I don't like the idea of giving Sawyer a sibling with another occupational name ending in -er, so, for me at least, that would eliminate Carver, Ryder, and probably also Gunnar.

That leaves Cavanaugh, Wylie, and Quinn. Wylie isn't terrible, but it's a but too "Wile E. Coyote" for me. Cavanaugh and Quinn would be my top two picks for you.

I'm not sure if it bothers you (I don't think it would bother me too much), but Quinn is given in about equal measure to boys and girls right now. In 2010, 1267 girls in the U.S. were named Quinn and 1221 boys were named Quinn according to the statistics at http://www.nancy.cc/ It's not a huge problem, but since your daughter's name is more commonly given to boys it may lead to some confusion for people meeting your kids for the first time ("Which name belongs to the boy and which one belongs to the girl?")

Cavanaugh, Carver, Wylie, Ryder, Gunnar or Quinn? I would pick Wylie. It's very cowboyish. Cavanaugh is a bit much. Carver AND Sawyer together? No! Sorry, but they are both too woodsy. As another poster said, I don't like two siblings with ER endings, especially two occupational names. Quinn is used too often for girls these days. People would probably think that Sawyer is the boy and Quinn is the girl.
    Some suggestions: Hudson, Paxton, Chesley, Brogan or Nash

Quote Originally Posted by lori johnson View Post
    My recommendation is ...

Sawyer [and] Finn
    This is a little too Mark Twainy, no? Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by snacktress View Post
    This is a little too Mark Twainy, no? Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer?
    Definitely. I think that may have been the poster's intention, but starting that pattern might put them in a bind when it comes to names if they want to have a third child.