Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First names that go with Smith

My husband and I are looking for a name to go with the last name Smith. Since Smith is a really common last name we're looking for a less common first name. Here are some of our picks, we're looking for opinions please!

Weston Smith
    Bruce Smith (Bruce is my Dad's name)
    Alden Smith (my Dad's middle name)
    Walker Smith
    Edison Smith
    Emmet Smith

We're open to all kinds of suggestions!

Thanks,
    Liz

In my opinion, Smith is a wonderfully versatile surname that can take almost any unusual name you choose to throw at it! There are two things I'd try to avoid: single-syllable names (since Smith is one syllable) and names that end in S (since that makes the first and last name run together when spoken aloud.) Bruce falls into both of those categories, so it would be the one I'd take off your list. There are always exceptions to the rules, though, especially if you find a name you both love.
    From your list, my favorites are Alden and Edison.
    Other unusual suggestions from my "likes" list:

Barnaby
    Crispin
    Edmund
    Ezekiel
    Dermot
    Hezekiah
    Solomon
    Turlough

Best wishes! These may be a little "far out" for your taste, but I'm sure others will have suggestions, and I've always wished that the parents of my friend James Smith had had a little more imagination--even though James is one of my all-time favorites!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

My favorites from you list are Bruce, Alden and Edison. Although I'm afraid that Bruce Smith clashes a bit with the repetative S sound

A few suggestions that I think you might like:

Walden
    Warren
    Dougray
    Carmichael
    Conrad
    Tate
    Leon
    Leonard
    Byron
    Turner
    Harvey

How about Elliot, Everett or Bennett?

Thanks! Ezekiel is actually another name we have been sort of kicking around. My husband's name is Dan, and there are sooo many Dan Smiths out there. I was in a store the other day and the clerk was trying to look up our rewards number and he laughed when I told him the name to look up. . .