Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    My name is Rebecca and I LOVE the way it sounds in a Spanish accent. (and spelled Rebeca in your case of course). I love that little trill of the R!

Thank you! Beautiful spelling of Elisia, unique but not awkward. I don't think Ramona is for me.

Rj, thanks! I have always loved the name Rebeca. My sister's name is Rebekah. I like that spelling too but I think I would go with the latin on for obvious reasons.
    Baby Hernández is due Nov. 22!!

Hi! I was glad to see Sara Naomi/Noemi as one you liked because that came to mind immediately for me! As far as Elijah, I think related Eli, Elia, and Elias are used in Spanish, although of course they will be pronounced differently (like Alisha vs A-lee-see-a) - not butchered at all, just a different approach, if that makes sense. I've known plenty of Latino children (and a few adults) who code-switch with their names in school, but both prn's are legit prn's of the name. Personally I'd have no problem with one prn in one language and another in another, I'd prefer that to a butchered prn of a non-used name, but if you want the prn the same, perhaps there's another way to go.

Here are some names that are Spanish(ish) but I think work well in English, mostly because I've seen them used that way, as well as English names that seem pretty pronounceable in Spanish (also mostly based on what I've seen):

Antonia
    Aurelia
    Christina/Cristina
    Cora
    Coraima
    Dahlia/Dalia (the national flower of Mexico, I believe?)
    Diana
    Esther/Ester/Estrella
    Iris
    Isabel
    Lucia
    Maria
    Natalia
    Natalie/Nathalie (the Latina women I've known with this name have spelled it Nathalie or Nathaly)
    Olivia
    Raquel
    Reyna/Reina/Raina
    Rosa
    Ruby
    Sophia/Sofia
    Theresa/Teresa
    Valentina
    Valeria
    Zara

Anthony
    Antonio
    Daniel
    David
    Gabriel
    Hector
    Isaiah/Isaias
    Louis/Luis
    Marco/Marcos
    Nicholas/Nicolas
    Oscar
    Sebastian
    Thomas/Tomas

I am sure there are more! Good luck!

I know a Bella who is half-Mexican and half-American, I love how Bella is pronounced in Spanish! I also know sisters Alicia and Fabiana, and love the Spanish pronunciations of those as well.

Since I started Nameberry-ing, I have some new name crushes:

For a girl:
    Clara -simple yet not as trendy as Claire. Means clear but I like to think of it as pure. Plus, I love the nutcracker -bonus!
    Felicia or Felicity - love the meaning and how it rolls off the tongue. What can give more felicity than a daughter?
    November or December - I just love the way they sound, but I would like to hear more perspective on these names.
    Sarah Naomi - God changed Sarai's name to Sarah meaning princess. Naomi is also a great OT name. Sarah Naomi Hernandez. Pretty.
    Brynn ( though the meaning isnt exciting for me, could be a cute middle name?)
    Evelyn - I like Eve from the OT. Too few people recognize the virtue in her giving up her own pleasure and easy life in the garden of Eden so that she could have hardships and earthly experiences and not to mention, so we could be born. No pain no gain! However, Eva variations are so trendy right now... Do you all know any Evelyns?
    Leslie.. still the meaning isnt exciting but I love how it sounds and I have a sweet friend named Leslie, I wouldnt mind my daughter having the same name.
    I still like Alicia and Rebeca, but I am exploring some less popular choices, as both are names of immediate relatives. I dont mind that though.

Boys:
    Elijah Scott .. still lol Elijah is one of my ultimate OT faves, and my husband prefers it to the hispanic Elias. My husband told me he liked the name Scott when we first started dating and I just thought it was so cute that he mentioned baby names so early in our relationship, and not to mention in his cute accent. Am I a geek or what? Scott is the last name of someone that I know who is a great role model also. As good as a bible name to me. (for any who are LDS I'm thinking of Richard G. Scott.)
    Ian - "the Lord is gracious" and sounds the same in English and Spanish. Awesome.
    Isaac -with my baby fever I'm going to feel like Sarah by the time he is born. Lol jk. Great name, sounds cool in spanish.

Thoughts? It's been so fun learning about names and commenting on other posts! Please send money dust my way - and then baby dust! Lol.
    Last edited by amenspanglish; February 26th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Baby Hernández is due Nov. 22!!