Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Renovations with Toddler

I bought a house yay!! And it's really old & dilapidated! Which is fine, I've always wanted an old house & it will be really fun fixing it up & picking everything out...but I have a 1 yr old.

Has anyone here done a reno with a mobile little one?

Obviously we aren't moving right on in, but what point in the reno is ok for baby?

I have not, but I have contemplated it. Are you renovating it in one fell swoop, or in bits and pieces?

Obviously any hazards (open floors), no way. Otherwise, if you're doing it in dibs and dabs, can you not just gate off the forbidden work zones as they evolve?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

That's what I'm thinking...the do one floor & than the next kind of thing.

It's just confusing to think of what order things should be done in.

We aren't doing it all at once I'm sure...probably make it livable, move in & make it pretty weekend warrior style and I'm sure the kitchen will be on the back burner considering how expensive kitchen renovation is!

We are planning on refinishing the existing kitchen cabinets though. I guess we can just tape a tarp over the doorway?

I guess this is why people get the house first?

I am freaking out about air quality & stuff...

And we have to figure out how long we are keeping our apt of course...

You should do single projects (like flooring for the whole house) all at once. The most treacherous for a baby are: a) replacing flooring; b) wall wrecking/demo; c) replacing kitchen cabinetry (can kind of be contained) and d) renovating a bathroom (just shut the door).

Obviously if anything structural needs to be done, house needs to be rewired / replumbed for safety, you should absolutely do major work like that before you move in. Likewise house-wide stuff- replacing HVAC or something-- you should send Leonie away for the time it needs to be done/get a hotel.

Don't do something like replacing flooring on a room-by-room basis. Do it floor-wide, or better yet house-wide. That way you don't worry about mismatch, and it's much much more efficient.

You can reno a kitchen later (dated kitchens are still usable, unless the appliances don't work or are unsafe). You can reno bathrooms later, and do it one by one-- so easy with a baby, just keep her out of the way when the workmen are there, and shut the door at night. You can build a deck later (if the current deck is unsafe, invest in multiple locks to the door leading to it, including something like a padlock that an older Leonie would never be able to figure out. Obviously exterior work is all fine.

Cosmetic stuff like painting can actually be the hardest! To minimize vapor exposure it's easier to do it in one fell swoop, floor-wide (a fast team can do an entire floor in a day, and fumes dissipate in 24-48h. You can stay with grandparents, friends or at a hotel during that time). If you're painting yourself, you'll obviously have to get someone to watch Leonie since you will be completely unable to attend to her while you're involved with any part of the painting process.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq