Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Irregular Periods and TTC

Hello Berries!!
    My husband and I are planning on TTC within the next few months. I got off bc about a year ago to try and get my body ready. I work out regularly and eat pretty healthy. My problem seems to be my periods. They are very irregular. I never kept track of my period before we thought about TTC. I was on bc and I "knew" an approximate date of when my period would come every month. Now that I'm trying to get more prepared, I've noticed that my period is anywhere from 32-40 days apart. About four years ago, I was underweight and didn't get my period for about a year. I'm worried that this could be one of the reasons my period is irregular? My mom bought me the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor (that expensive little do-dad that "tells" you when your peak ovulation day is). I haven't started using it yet though...still waiting on that period!!

So my question is, for those of you who have children or are even TTC now with irregular periods, do you have any advice for me? Is this going to make it that much more difficult for me to get pregnant? Thank you in advance for any advice you've got for me!!

I have periods like this, between 30-40 days. I HATE birth control. I hate the way it makes me feel, because I lose touch with my body. Sure, my period is more predictible, but I don't have the "ebb and flow" (my doctor calls it) of hormones that tell me what my body is doing. So my advice is pay attention to how you feel. Write it in a notebook that you can dedicate to just this. I know based on many things where I am in my cycle. Read up on some of the baby websites like parents.com or parentsconnect.com. There are some excellent articles in there that tell you where you are in your cycle.
    Some things I have noticed for me, discharge. Not fun to talk about, but pay attention to it. It changes. Those websites will tell you what to look for.
    You can measure your BBT (basal body temperature). This does the same thing as the kit your mom bought. (In that it will tell you when you ovulate if you pay attention.) I think they are about $30, but it's a one-time buy, and it will work. Basically it measure your body temp right after you wake up. When you ovulate it will be higher for a couple of days than the rest of the month.
    I notice cramping in the middle of my cycle. This is when the ovaries release the egg. Sometimes there is a sharp stabbing pain just when it happens. This is a good time to get pregnant. I notice that I get hot A LOT during this time, and the day before my period starts.
    I kept a calendar with all of this information on it, and was able to conceive with no problem when we were ready.
    I wouldn't worry about the underweight issue. It was long enough ago your body should be over it.
    Do a little research and see what you find. The discharge thing is HUGE. (Sorry to bring it up again. I really hate talking about it.) And get to know your body. That's your best bet.
    With my second son I knew I was pregnant before I could even take a test because I had heart palpitations each time my body would release a big dose of hormones. (They tend to come in 'batches'.) I had that with my first, too.
    Be sure to check out those websites, or just google 'trying to conceive' and 'how to tell if I am ovulating' and those sorts of things. You will find all the answers you need.
    Proud mommy to Nicolas Alexander (5) and Ethan Scott (3) Hannah Jane (8 months)

Threw out the old list. Looking for a new one!

Ariannew,
    Thanks so much for all of your advice! I'll be sure to google the ovulation "symptoms". The journal is a great idea. Also, my friend who had a baby about a year ago said the same thing about discharge. Ever since I got off of the birth control, I've been paying more attention and am definitely "noticing" the times when it is different. I'm anxious to get started =)

@Ariannew - Thats a lot of good information! DH and I aren't trying to conceive just yet, but we are starting to THINK about when we will start trying (it may be years from now, but we are trying to lay out a timeline for ourselves).

Anyways, part of this process (for me anyway, not so much for DH, because I don't really share all this with him yet... still seems very personal)... is the fact that my periods are WAY irregular, like yours, katyg. They've always been this way. A few years ago I went for about 7 months without one, and then when it came it was very light (and was only about half a day). But then sometimes, I will go up to about 4 or 5 months when it comes "regularly" each month... and then it will get all wonky again and gets all sporadic (going for a few months in-between).

I have always been worried (and still am deep down), that it somehow means there is something wrong with me and that I will have difficulty conceiving.

I will start monitoring my BBT and will try to keep a journal of some sort... I have noticed that I can tell when my ovaries release an egg. I always feel little "pings" (is the word i use) when this happens. I researched it because I got confused about what it was, and I determined that I was feeling the egg being released. I'll track that in the journal too. That way, when DH and I DO start TTC, it will be a bit easier, because there will already be this information I have been tracking that I can use.

Thanks for the tip!

@Katyg,
    Good luck! I'm glad you found some of the information helpful.
    @hollins2007,
    I am certainly not a medical expert, but I think you should have your hormone levels checked. The three most important to have in balance are estrogen, testosterone and progestrine. If one of these is out of balance (too high or low) it can cause a number of problems, such as the missing period for months at a time.
    Also it can cause substantial emotional issues (like getting angry easily, etc) which can seem like PMS symptoms. I think that if you are planning on TTC that maybe you should go to your doctor and talk to them about it and see what they think about it. They can definitely help! The good news is that if you are already in touch enough with your body to know when you begin ovulation you have a huge advantage! Good luck to you, also!
    Proud mommy to Nicolas Alexander (5) and Ethan Scott (3) Hannah Jane (8 months)

Threw out the old list. Looking for a new one!