Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: The final syllable of Peregrine...

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • sounds like "grin"

40 76.92%
  • sounds like "green"

10 19.23%
  • rhymes with "brine"

1 1.92%
  • Spell it traditionally as Peregrine

31 59.62%
  • Go with Peregrin

4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you pronounce Peregrine?

I'm finding a surprising number of people aren't sure how to pronounce our Most Favored Name, Peregrine. I've never heard anything other than the "sounds like grin" ending so I thought it might be pertinent to find out just how big a problem this is going to be.

We're toying with the idea of omitting the final E, which we don't really want to do since historically the name has the E, i.e. Peregrine White, and we like the connection with the Peregrine falcon. However, I would entertain the idea if it saved the kid a big headache.
    My March arrival:
    Dulcinea Tesla
    We call her Daisy
    in honor of my mom.

Spell it Peregrine and it sounds like "grin". Will he have the nn Perry or no nickname?
    Last edited by mischa; February 21st, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Tell you what--I'll ask around before I vote. I pronounce it with the "sounds like grin" ending, and I didn't think it was a difficult name, but maybe I'll do a little personal polling to see if I get a different impression. I would incline toward the traditional E-ending, unless I find people really do have a hard time with it. Tell them to watch the Lord of the Rings movies!
    Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I live in the United States, and I've always thought Peregrine was with the "green" ending, like the bird... I thought it was one of those words names...sorry. I'm not very worldly though, so..

I never knew it was a question, I've always said it as "grin" at the end.
    Mom to 5 hilarious kids:
    Twins Graham Henry and Everett Sebastian, Sylvia Pearl, Nina Lucille and Erica Felicity